Another thing I am grateful for

Square Wheels

12 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Decent healthcare and the ability to afford insurance.

I had a stroke at the end of Dec.

Total cost: $25,791.06.

Cost to me: $0

I had the pacemaker put in last year, $92k. Cost to me was about $1K (balance of my deductible)

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Everyone read this and be kind around here to help preserve our dear leader.  Play nice and NO politics and religion.

I am glad you are here, SW.  I am glad that your insurance is good.

OK <redacted>

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, 2Far said:

We have a high co-pay for the ER, but it's waived if you are admitted.

Supposed to be the same for me.  Been waiting for the bill, never came.  Just got the insurance breakdown of what was billed, what they paid out, and what my portion is.  My total share = 0.  :)

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

38 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

That cost was just the cost of the 6 hour ED visit.  Not the follow-up appts.

Sometimes I think healthcare bills are purposefully inflated.  For what reason, I don't know.  But my bills versus what my BC/BS agrees to pay (and is accepted) is always huge.

Maybe it is for tax reasons or for some other bookkeeping write-off scheme.  Whatever.  But typically, I will see a doctor's office or hospital charge say, a thousand dollars or so, and BC/BS pays like $150, and it is accepted as full payment.  :o  But I'm not complaining.  I just don't think the billings are in line with reality, most of the time.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Sometimes I think healthcare bills are purposefully inflated.  For what reason, I don't know.  But my bills versus what my BC/BS agrees to pay (and is accepted) is always huge.

Maybe it is for tax reasons or for some other bookkeeping write-off scheme.  Whatever.  But typically, I will see a doctor's office or hospital charge say, a thousand dollars or so, and BC/BS pays like $150, and it is accepted as full payment.  :o  But I'm not complaining.  I just don't think the billings are in line with reality, most of the time.

Yeah, we see the same thing. I asked the Tech Rep how much the PM cost. She said, she didn't know exactly, but $5-6k. The hospital submitted $52k for it.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I suspect it's partly for self-pay.  While insurance companies get a generous discount, if I were paying out of pocket, I'd be paying 100% of that bill.

Also, hospitals have to inflate for the real payers, to make up for the non-payers.  

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Decent healthcare and the ability to afford insurance.

I’m grateful for this as well. 
And healthcare is bigger than private plans and group management organizations. #2 child turned 26 in February. He’s now on Medicaid as part of his Disabilities Waiver program. This is a huge comfort to mr. and I that he has access to his own healthcare. And that the US changed the delivery of healthcare for people with IDD from an institutional model to community access. 

• Heart 3