Shackleton's lost ship, Endurance, has been rediscovered at the bottom of the Antarctic.

Page Turner
Go to solution Solved by jsharr,

"Shackleton left England aboard Endurance with a crew of 27 in 1914, bound for a bay on the Weddell Sea that was meant to be the starting point for an attempt by him and a small party to be the first to cross Antarctica. This was close to the end of what has become known as the heroic age of Antarctic exploration, which included treks by the Norwegian Roald Amundsen, who in 1911 was the first to reach the pole, and by Robert Falcon Scott, a Briton who died after reaching it a month later.

Shackleton never made it to the pole or beyond, but his leadership in rescuing all his crew and his exploits, which included an 800-mile open-boat journey across the treacherous Southern Ocean to the island of South Georgia, made him a hero in Britain."

I think the farthest I've ever travelled in an open boat was about six hours and 10 miles, on a lake, trolling for lake trout. It seemed like a long day.

Just now, Page Turner said:

...."haphazard" is the word that best describes my entire life history.  Well spoken sir.  :party:

Hap Hazzard would make a good sock puppet name.  Not that I would know anything about that.  I am more of a no fly guy now.

• Heart 2

When I saw the headline on ABC News, I thought they had always known where it is because Shackleton's men were stranded on Elephant Island for so long.  Theh I remembered that had lived on the ice as the Endurance was crushed by it, then went on to Elephant Island.  Eventually, Shackleton and 5 others sailed in a lifeboat 800 miles to South Georgia Island, three of them crossing mountains of ice, and every man in the expedition was saved.