Do you make your own fresh pasta?

Randomguy

I've done it.  Mostly for ravioli.  I do have a pasta maker.  This is somewhere that I skrimp and use dried or fresh packaged pasta.  It is so much work.  If I make it, it is to impress guests for a special meal.  I made fresh for Susan.  I can't remember her pseudo name to tag at the moment.  She also got a lemon cake for dessert.  All homemade.

Ah, I just remembered @MoseySusan

• Heart 4

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Just curious as to how many people start on that path, and then stop. 

Nope.

Just now, ChrisL said:

My son & I have.  It was good but I don’t eat pasta often enough to do it frequently.  

It really seems like too much work - especially as you can buy fresh pasta (and I don't even mind most "regular" pasta).

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Nope.

It really seems like too much work - especially as you can buy fresh pasta (and I don't even mind most "regular" pasta).

It tastes quite good.  I have some semolina flour that I bought to make some.  I think it seems like a good time to do it.  The roller I have is quirky.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Nope.

It was more work but for someone who likes to cook not a big deal.  It was noticeably better than dried when we made it.  I would do it again for sure if I was eating a lot of pasta. 

I'm not sure I  would ever get there.  Sigh...dearie made the spaetzel which isn't hard but takes time and I still have the spaetzel maker.

Making pizza /focaccia dough is as far as I've gone often. I tend to only do this for multiple eaters.

There are Chinese pasta styles to hand-make. Too much effort ... for 1 person.

We have made it a few times. Definitely work. Too much effort for just the 2 of us. We don’t get a lot of the semi fresh at the stores for the same reason. We like pasta, but are trying to keep the carb count down a bit. At least with dried you don’t feel pressured to use it so quickly. 

37 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I wasn't threatening to make fresh pasta, btw, I just thought it would be a high-dropout activity, like using a treadmill for anything other than hanging clothes.

The person that gave me the machine, it was all gummed up with pasta from her failed attempt.  Took me quite a while to clean it up.  She definitely was part of the drop out rate.  

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

I've done it.  Mostly for ravioli.  I do have a pasta maker.  This is somewhere that I skrimp and use dried or fresh packaged pasta.  It is so much work.  If I make it, it is to impress guests for a special meal.  I made fresh for Susan.  I can't remember her pseudo name to tag at the moment.  She also got a lemon cake for dessert.  All homemade.

Ah, I just remembered @MoseySusan

Pasta with a red pepper sauce. This was a special meal, for sure. We’d been on the road for two weeks already, and your home cooking was priceless. 

@Randomguy, I make fresh egg noodles for chicken soup. Super easy and worth the time, which is minimal. 
1 egg at room temperature (really), beaten with 1/8 tsp salt. Add 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour. Stir. Add scant amounts of flour if necessary. After it comes together, let the dough ball set for 15 minutes. I cover with a damp paper towel because ABQ air is dry. Then take a chunk of dough, roll it paper thin. Use a pizza cutter to slice it into noodle shapes. Add to the soup that’s already been simmering.  They cook in about 20 minutes. 

• Heart 3

9 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Pasta with a red pepper sauce. This was a special meal, for sure. We’d been on the road for two weeks already, and your home cooking was priceless. 

@Randomguy, I make fresh egg noodles for chicken soup. Super easy and worth the time, which is minimal. 
1 egg at room temperature (really), beaten with 1/8 tsp salt. Add 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour. Stir. Add scant amounts of flour if necessary. After it comes together, let the dough ball set for 15 minutes. I cover with a damp paper towel because ABQ air is dry. Then take a chunk of dough, roll it paper thin. Use a pizza cutter to slice it into noodle shapes. Add to the soup that’s already been simmering.  They cook in about 20 minutes. 

It was very fun hosting all three of you.  

I need to try your recipe.  I always use semoline flour and Bob's Red Mill recipe.  It comes out good.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

There are some really good vegan, gluten-free pastas now.  I suspect it would be terrible homemade. 

If they can make it, others could too.  I think the trick with GF is the right flour mix.  It would definitely be a ton of work to perfect.  Who has the time these days?

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

It was very fun hosting all three of you.  

I need to try your recipe.  I always use semoline flour and Bob's Red Mill recipe.  It comes out good.

Use what works. 💞
I got this recipe from my SiL, who grew up on a ranch. She cooked from scratch for her family and the guys who worked there. It’s basic egg, salt, flour. And fast. 

Just now, Square Wheels said:

No worries for me, I eat pasta once or twice a year.  It's like crack.

We eat it about once a week.  Tonight, we dine.  For me, it is an easy meal.  I love the rice noodle cakes for making soup.  Lotus foods makes them.  Decently healthy, IMO.

I bet you do a lot of bowls.  Like a bunch of veggies in a bowl.  I think I heard it called a buddha bowl.  Veggies, nuts, and a light sauce.  It is a perfect vegan meal.

Not often enough.  It's plenty easy, we just don't think about it.  When we do make it, we usually make a lot and freeze it.  Gnocchi when the potatoes or peas come in, Pumpkin Mascarpone ravioli in the fall.

Haven't done Spaetzle in a while, but I will put that and Sauerbraten on the schedule when Lent is over and the beer is flowing again.

• Heart 2

I did once. My dad made pasta all the time; futticcini was his go to. He used the hand crank style pasta maker and dried the pasta on dish towels. I bought a pasta attachment for my kitchen aid stand mixer. Pain in the butt process. The extruded dough stuck to itself. It was a lot of work for what I got. Tasted good but the kicker was, Wo7 said, “it doesn’t taste any different than the box stuff I don’t know why you went to the trouble.” Right then I knew I wasn’t making pasta again. It’s like brewing a craft beer and your guests ask, can’t you make it taste Zima?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I did once. My dad made pasta all the time; futticcini was his go to. He used the hand crank style pasta maker and dried the pasta on dish towels. I bought a pasta attachment for my kitchen aid stand mixer. Pain in the butt process. The extruded dough stuck to itself. It was a lot of work for what I got. Tasted good but the kicker was, Wo7 said, “it doesn’t taste any different than the box stuff I don’t know why you went to the trouble.” Right then I knew I wasn’t making pasta again. It’s like brewing a craft beer and your guests ask, can’t you make it taste Zima?

I use a hand crank.  I've never had good luck with the kitchen aid one.  The only thing that bumms me out is that the hand crank falls off sometimes.  I have dents in my other floor from it.  It was bamboo and was somewhat of a soft floor.  Easily scratched.  

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

I use a hand crank.  I've never had good luck with the kitchen aid one.  The only thing that bumms me out is that the hand crank falls off sometimes.  I have dents in my other floor from it.  It was bamboo and was somewhat of a soft floor.  Easily scratched.  

I wouldn’t mind trying again. Wo7’s comment told me it was a losing proposition.