What is a great movie that I should watch tonight? Please don't suggest things...

Randomguy

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Hmm, I read about it just now.  After reading about it, I still have no idea what it is about.

Then I saw the trailer, and still don't know what it is about.  What is it about?

Life, is my synopsis.  Our life and our planet.  It is made by the same person than did Baraka.  That one is good too.

Historical: Amadeus (Murray Abraham) - greatest musician of all time

Nostalgic: American Graffiti (Ronny Howard et al) - American teenagers in 1962

War: Saving Private Ryan (Tom Hanks et al) - DDay 1944 and days after action by a squad of Rangers

Funny: Foul Play (Goldie Hawn, Chevy Chase) - goofy girl and cop have to save an important person

Stuff that's great but off a lot of radars:

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean (Paul Newman) - comedy, boss man of a turn of the century (1800's-1900's) Texas Town.

Winter's Bone (Jennifer Lawrence) - teenager's search for criminal father to save home put up for bail bond, 20 yr-old JLaw nominated for Best Actress Oscar

Broadway Melody of 1940 (Eleanor Powell and Fred Astaire) - the most incredible tap dancing: greatest all-time tapper Powell put Astaire to shame - he wouldn't work with her again.

Cherry 2000 (Melanie Griffith, David Andrews) - guy seeks robot replacement for robot wife and is guided by hot, 27 year-old, human Melanie Griffith

• 1 year later...
On 3/10/2022 at 8:47 AM, MickinMD said:

Historical: Amadeus (Murray Abraham) - greatest musician of all 

BuffCarla and I watched this tonight. I’m not a classical music buff, but loved the music. His genius was incredible. Obviously not as great a musician as George Jones, but still elite. 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Went to see the Marvels yesterday.

1.  I'm not sure what the plot was.

2.  I'm not sure that a lack of plot matters.

3.  Lots of things get hit, smashed, blown up and destroyed.

4.  I'm beginning to suspect that this is a common theme in the Marvel Universe.  :nodhead:

BuffCarla calls these Craig movies. She loves them, but knows I wouldn’t. She sees them with her youngest brother Craig.  

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/10/2022 at 8:47 AM, MickinMD said:

Stuff that's great but off a lot of radars:

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean (Paul Newman) - comedy, boss man of a turn of the century (1800's-1900's) Texas Town.

This one sounds good. I liked Newman in one called something like The Secret Life War of Harry Frigg and of course Cool Hand Luke, so seems promising. 

Well it seems the Frigg movie gets no respect, not even mentioned in Newman’s  Wikipedia article.  Of course this post sent me down a Paul Newman rabbit hole!  He was active for 50 effing 8 years!  Man, does that make me feel like a sloth!  The Wikipedia article mentioned quite a few movies and documentaries I would like to see. One was a docuseries on him and Woodward made by Ethan Hawke. 

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Went to see the Marvels yesterday.

1.  I'm not sure what the plot was.

2.  I'm not sure that a lack of plot matters.

3.  Lots of things get hit, smashed, blown up and destroyed.

4.  I'm beginning to suspect that this is a common theme in the Marvel Universe.  :nodhead:

it's hard to follow if you didn't watch the TV shows like Ms Marvel, and Captain Marvel. Lacking in plot is filled in with all the other things you need to watch to put the puzzle together. 

9 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Outdoor America on PBS. Start with season 1. 

I like Aerial America on Smithsonian.  They are great but a little hard to stay awake to.  So I just catch bits and pieces.  Same problem with all the BBC David Attenborough ones.  Love them but they can be real snooze inducers. :D

We were watching hockey til it got boring. Channel surfing I stumbled onto the last half hour of The Dirty Dozen (the WW2 movie, not the one about organic food). What a great ending battle scene, and incredible cast of characters. Lee Marvin, Telly Savalas, Jim Brown, Donald Sutherland, Charles Bronson, Ernest Borgnine and George Marshall. Wow. 

8 hours ago, BuffJim said:

We were watching hockey til it got boring. Channel surfing I stumbled onto the last half hour of The Dirty Dozen (the WW2 movie, not the one about organic food). What a great ending battle scene, and incredible cast of characters. Lee Marvin, Telly Savalas, Jim Brown, Donald Sutherland, Charles Bronson, Ernest Borgnine and George Marshall. Wow. 

Kelly’s Heroes is a good follow up to Dirty Dozen. 

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 8:40 AM, KrAzY said:

it's hard to follow if you didn't watch the TV shows like Ms Marvel, and Captain Marvel. Lacking in plot is filled in with all the other things you need to watch to put the puzzle together. 

I did watch all the others.  It's still the marvel formula.  Bad guy want's to break things.  Marvel Universe hero's want to break bad guy.  I've watched all the Marvel movies and I loke most of them but they have been going steadily downhill since the original Iron Man.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I did watch all the others.  It's still the marvel formula.  Bad guy want's to break things.  Marvel Universe hero's want to break bad guy.  I've watched all the Marvel movies and I loke most of them but they have been going steadily downhill since the original Iron Man.

Yes they have been going downhill for sure. Not sure how many more there can be of the same thing with just different new bad people. 

Being There is on TCM. One of the most brilliant movies ever. About a mentally handicapped gardener becoming President. He only knows how to be a gardener, but people assume he’s talking about economics when he says the roots must be strong, or after winter comes the spring. People think he’s brilliant. But he only knows about gardening. 
They ask him to be on a TV talk show, and he says he’s been on TV before. He was referring to one of those security cameras in a store front. 

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, KrAzY said:

Yes they have been going downhill for sure. Not sure how many more there can be of the same thing with just different new bad people. 

I watch Marvel movies in 30 min snippets.  There is almost no way I can watch one from start to finish anymore without FFWDing through the long, monotonous, & boring fight scenes.  Just a waste of my time for like 5-10 minutes every 30 minutes or so.

I will catch up on a WHOLE Marvel movie on a flight. I find that's best for me - trapped with nothing else to do. :)

• Heart 1