Quote of the Day: Winston Churchill

Inspiration Bot

In particular, not many people at all know about the Polish pilots who flew in defense of Britain as part of the 'few' Churchill mentions.  They were one of the most successful - or the most successful, depending on your view - groups of pilots in the war.  Their success was not publicized to appease Stalin, and after the war most were forced to leave England and return to Poland where many simply 'disappeared'.

18 hours ago, Inspiration Bot said:

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."

View the full article

In his 6-volume history of World War II, Churchill related that, after the Italians surrendered in North Africa, one of the British Generals reported to Churchill, "Never was so much surrendered by so many to so few."

The Italian army got a bad reputation in WW2, though much of it was due to the fact the Italians didn't want to fight the Americans because they liked the Americans.

When 1200 Italian troops were marching on Gela, Sicily after the 400 men of Darby's 4th Ranger Battalion had landed amphibiously and were overwhelming the German defenders, my father did what Darby recruited him into the Rangers to do: he called in and directed Naval artillery fire on the Italians.  Many we hit and more were stunned.  Six Rangers probing the area and not knowing about the Italians, crossed over a hill, looked at all the Italians and thought they were dead.  But the Italians all raised their arms in surrender!

When I was in college, my research advisor, Prof. Victor Vitullo, and I were the lab of a Dr. Creighton.  Seeing a glass bowl among the beakers, flasks, titration burets, etc., Chicago-born, Italian-American Dr. Vitullo asked, "What's this?"

Creighton grabbed it, put it on his head, and replied, "It's an Italian Army helmet."