Wicked problems

Ralphie

I think Putin and Russia certainly qualifies. By definition the western word failed at dealing with him.  I keep thinking of what @Wilbur said in the nightmare thread, that a common theme of dreams is the “you can’t get there from here” problem. Could this be the brian’s way of trying to deal with wicked problems?  Will AI be better at these than we humans are?

• Heart 1

On 3/10/2022 at 6:58 AM, Philander Seabury said:

I think Putin and Russia certainly qualifies. By definition the western word failed at dealing with him.  I keep thinking of what @Wilbur said in the nightmare thread, that a common theme of dreams is the “you can’t get there from here” problem. Could this be the brian’s way of trying to deal with wicked problems?  Will AI be better at these than we humans are?

The problem, even assuming Putin won't use nukes, is that if NATO got drawn into a war with Russia where China would be Russia's ally - at least in terms of supplying stuff - there could be millions of deaths instead of thousands.

On top of that, Ukraine has had one of the most corrupt governments on the face of the earth - Zelensky himself not implicated in that but suspected in a CNBC report - and is NOT a part of NATO.  The USA has had small numbers of troops in Ukraine for close to a decade, supplying Ukraine with advanced weapons and training them but - like other NATO countries - is NOT going to risk a war to save Ukraine's set of corrupt national, regional, and city governments.

NATO was not going to let Ukraine into nation until it cleaned up its act before the Russian invasion, but maybe Putin saw the Zelensky was cleaning things up and might make Ukraine a candidate.