Are you a talker or a typer?

Ralphie

Several years ago when I was still working, my boss called me and asked why haven't you responded to my text message?  I looked in the phone, and yes indeed there was a 2 day old text message.

Then I reminded her..   I told you I don't text   If you need me and it's important CALL me.   If it can wait, email me. 

I text more now.... but nowhere near as much as WoBG.   If I send 3 or 4 text messages now (per week) that' a LOT for me.   

And if you do call me on the phone... you NEED to leave a message.  If I get a unknown call, and there is no message... it gets blocked.  I figure... if it's important they would leave a message.  Or if it's real important, send me a letter.   That's ONE thing I like about the IRS.... they send letters.  

I like to talk but typing I can go back and re-read the conversation. Works out well for appointments and dates. Also Otto Correct doesn’t change what I said when I talk unless I’m using voice to text. When I’m messaging a lady friend it doesn’t go on for hours like when we are on the phone. If only I could remember which one said what. LOL

FWIW yesterday’s date went extremely well.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

Texting for the win.  I send lots and lots of them.   I learned early on to do lots of things by text if at all possible with lying, treacherous, asshole surgeons.  They will wake up in the morning and decide that they disagree with last night's decision that they made with you.  Then instead of take the blame will try to throw you under a bus.  It is very sad, but multiple times in my career a screen shot has helped to prove my point to my boss.  I can think of at least 4 incidents from the organ gig where a surgeon "wasn't notified" but I had texts screen shots where I did notify them and they responded.  They do NOT like to be proven wrong.  

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Texting for the win.  I send lots and lots of them.   I learned early on to do lots of things by text if at all possible with lying, treacherous, asshole surgeons.  They will wake up in the morning and decide that they disagree with last night's decision that they made with you.  Then instead of take the blame will try to throw you under a bus.  It is very sad, but multiple times in my career a screen shot has helped to prove my point to my boss.  I can think of at least 4 incidents from the organ gig where a surgeon "wasn't notified" but I had texts screen shots where I did notify them and they responded.  They do NOT like to be proven wrong.  

Oh yeah!  I forgot that the downside is you are on record. :D

2 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Several years ago when I was still working, my boss called me and asked why haven't you responded to my text message?  I looked in the phone, and yes indeed there was a 2 day old text message.

Then I reminded her..   I told you I don't text   If you need me and it's important CALL me.   If it can wait, email me. 

I text more now.... but nowhere near as much as WoBG.   If I send 3 or 4 text messages now (per week) that' a LOT for me.   

And if you do call me on the phone... you NEED to leave a message.  If I get a unknown call, and there is no message... it gets blocked.  I figure... if it's important they would leave a message.  Or if it's real important, send me a letter.   That's ONE thing I like about the IRS.... they send letters.  

My boss emails me, I respond and then he comes to my office or buzzes me to see if I got his email, to which I say I responded at (looks in outlook) 11:13 am, seven minutes after you asked.  

• Heart 1

39 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

especially not by a murse.  A nurse at least they can look down her blouse.  Unless of course the surgeon is a chick, at which point @Parr8hed should wear loose fitting scrubs.

• Haha 2

I'm pretty evenly split.  If it's a quick comment that doesn't require much explanation, text or slack at work.  But if it's a more complicated situation, then a call.  I hate when people type out a really long note that never is complete anyway.

With friends, I tend to be a texter for quick notes to share a pic or say hello, but for a birthday or some other big event, I'll try to call.  I don't like spending a long time on calls.

Some topics are just too complicated for texting, so phone call is good ..especially with close friends.

I like email since it gives time to be more coherent for myself and other person. However sadly, some people find email too much of an effort. Email is good for documenting important decisions, stuff. That's the golden rule in the workplace from an evidence perspective  especially when communicating with multiple folks at same time.

I really HATE text software support. I prefer to speak with a human being and it's just faster to solve the tech. problem.

3 hours ago, Kirby said:

With friends, I tend to be a texter for quick notes to share a pic or say hello, but for a birthday or some other big event, I'll try to call.  I don't like spending a long time on calls

I absolutely hated holding a phone up to my ear while talking. Now I live alone so my calls are all on speaker. I take most of my calls on my iPad.

11 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Typer here. Some people are more aurally oriented. I like quiet. :)  A little real human contact is ok from time to time but Alexander Graham Bell can keep that telephone except for very occasional use. :D

I'm more of a talker and listener, but am ok with typing and reading.