I knew I shouldn't have looked. 401(k) :(

2Far

15 minutes ago, 2Far said:

So far this year, I am down more than I put in last year.

Probably never a good time to look when there is a war going on?  2021 was another bonkers year in the market. Even without the war, bumping interest rates and trying to cool the insanity that has gripped the market, the RE market, and the labor market would be a big shake up.  I don't know how you cool these things gently, as even in the mix of all this stuff, I STILL see folks plowing ahead full steam. A neighbor just put his place on the market and got the "insane offers/contract the same day frenzy" that I was seeing in way-overheated CA.  

Recalling 2008 is worrisome.  But we are past due for big corrections in all the markets.

• Heart 2

Sorry to hear this.

I'm down a bit, but it has been steady gains.  I do this strange thing.  All my deposits go into money market and then I make decided purchases.  I buy on the dips.  I am not trying to market time per se.  I just don't like auto dumping into something.  My investments are all over the place.  I bought a bunch of energy right before people started traveling again.  That seemed to be a good idea.  We also buy industry based etfs to level out our exposure.  I find some of the funds to be so heavy in tech that I like to buy other stuff.  Our roths are down and lost about half of what we put in.  Boo.  I try to remind myself that it is not 'lost' until it is sold.  This might bode well for dividends.  We get them on sale.  I am trying to remind myself of how great 2020 was for us with investments and dividends.  This might be the same if we don't panic.  

Stay the course.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Probably never a good time to look when there is a war going on?  2021 was another bonkers year in the market. Even without the war, bumping interest rates and trying to cool the insanity that has gripped the market, the RE market, and the labor market would be a big shake up.  I don't know how you cool these things gently, as even in the mix of all this stuff, I STILL see folks plowing ahead full steam. A neighbor just put his place on the market and got the "insane offers/contract the same day frenzy" that I was seeing in way-overheated CA.  

Recalling 2008 is worrisome.  But we are past due for big corrections in all the markets.

They don't just go up.  When I looked in early 2020, it was a big gulp and I bought.

In 2009 I raided my 401(k) to go on my cross country bike trip. Since then I’ve built it back to 3x the level it was in at its peak before 2009. 
Part of my rationale is that my $$$ might not be there when I retire so don’t rely too much on it. 

Don’t regret it one bit. 

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

This ^^^^

Yeah... it will be interesting to see how this works out.

The same as it did in the past several - some folks will make a mint, most folks will start rebuilding.  A quick wealth transfer from the middle class to the 1%ers.  

7 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I enjoy your enthusiasm, but it's the sort of thing that doesn't help :(  We usually just rely on Wilbur to make the wisecracks. 

I don't go for the low hanging fruit.  John is my official backup.  :)  Besides, everyone knows it is just Putin's fault.  200w.gif?cid=82a1493buw9f76r6r7ntqbofczr