Gas pumps ⛽️

Airehead

Do you remember gas hitting a dollar an hour and the pumps could not calculate over 99 cents per gallon?   As a result gas was dispensed at some price per half gallon.  I remember this at our local station. Einstein said he doesn’t remember ever seeing it. 

• Like 3

I don't remember that.  I do slightly rememcer the oil embargo of the 70's.  Not exactly the experience but I remember being in the car and the lines.  I think it was odd/even days you could fill or something.  I probably remember it because it was a PTSD moment as my family was likely all stressed.  PTSD does that to your memories.  It sticks them in there like glue.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Do you remember gas hitting a dollar an hour and the pumps could not calculate over 99 cents per gallon?

Wow you must have had a very sloooooow pump.    Yeah I remember 99.9 cents was the maximum.   

I wonder...  are the pumps we have now able to calculate more than 9.99 dollars per gallon?  I never looked to see if there is a blank digit for the 10 digit. 

And why do they still use the 9 in the price;   $0.009 for per gallon of gas?

• Haha 1

Yep.  I remember.  The old analog rolling pumps were topped out at 99.9.  Along came the embargo and that didn't work anymore.

I also remember when they rationed based on your license plate number - Odd last number every other day on certain days.  Even last number every other day on the others.  I have 2 license plates that I rotated when needed for trips to the gas station.  I drove a Chevy Laguna with a 454 4-barrel.  It got about 3 gallons to the mile (or something like that).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Yep.  I remember.  The old analog rolling pumps were topped out at 99.9.  Along came the embargo and that didn't work anymore.

I also remember when they rationed based on your license plate number - Odd last number every other day on certain days.  Even last number every other day on the others.  I have 2 license plates that I rotated when needed for trips to the gas station.  I drove a Chevy Laguna with a 454 4-barrel.  It got about 3 gallons to the mile (or something like that).

I remember the knob you had to use to reset the counters on the old analog pumps.  I always wondered what would happen if you reset it before the attendant could read and record the number.  They used to have a kiosk with the card imprint machine and the paper slips they used.  I think my dad would go in once a month and settle up our account.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Wow you must have had a very sloooooow pump.    Yeah I remember 99.9 cents was the maximum.   

I wonder...  are the pumps we have now able to calculate more than 9.99 dollars per gallon?  I never looked to see if there is a blank digit for the 10 digit. 

And why do they still use the 9 in the price;   $0.009 for per gallon of gas?

Oops

Back in 1973 I had a 1962 Chevy station wagon. When the gas crisis hit, I put another 20 gallon tank where the spare tire went and put a T-fitting to connect the two tanks. So I had 40 gallons. More than once I had to tell the gas station teller that I had more than $10 in gas.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Back in 1973 I had a 1962 Chevy station wagon. When the gas crisis hit, I put another 20 gallon tank where the spare tire went and put a T-fitting to connect the two tanks. So I had 40 gallons. More than once I had to tell the gas station teller that I had more than $10 in gas.

I had a 62 Chevy wagon, 283 and 3 on tree, I loved that car

• Like 2

While I started driving in the late 60's, remember the gas wars less than $0.25/gal. Also remember Sunoco with its dialable 10 grades of gasoline. Also remember Gulf had the first low/no lead "Gulftane" which was cheaper than leaded - until unleaded became available in the market priced higher than leaded and Gulftane suddenly disappeared as Gulf joined the crown can came out with their new unleaded line.

Gas rationing in the 70's? Was out of college and first job as a juvenile probation officer. I was all over the territority with my caseload driving a Dodge V8. Rationing didn't really impact me as my regular station(s) knew where I worked and gas was suddenly available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

Do you remember gas hitting a dollar an hour and the pumps could not calculate over 99 cents per gallon?   As a result gas was dispensed at some price per half gallon.  I remember this at our local station. Einstein said he doesn’t remember ever seeing it. 

I remember.  That was many hogsheads  ago!

• Like 1

Growing up in NYC, I wasn't a big driver until I graduated college.  I do recall the gas rationing but I don't recall the half gallon pricing, but it makes sense.

18 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

NOOOOO.  You shut your whore mouth right now!  Never speak of this again!

I am not old enough to remember that, but I do remember it took $20 to fill my tank and to get two packs of smokes. 

Im at the point of my wife telling me to ride my motorcycle more, kids were told to walk to school (1/2 mile). 
I planned on going to the range this afternoon, but now I’m trying to find a good way to carry the rifle on the motorcycle.. 

43 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

Im at the point of my wife telling me to ride my motorcycle more,

:loveshower:

53 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

I planned on going to the range this afternoon, but now I’m trying to find a good way to carry the rifle on the motorcycle.. 

It will help with tailgaters 

QvCOZ1S2ZqHCEvlVD9SEzfotLb4poEsAdwSxTKPgf-I.jpg.862b7a9a4bb86fb8c2106b290be0a76b.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BR46 said:

:loveshower:

It will help with tailgaters 

QvCOZ1S2ZqHCEvlVD9SEzfotLb4poEsAdwSxTKPgf-I.jpg.862b7a9a4bb86fb8c2106b290be0a76b.jpg

I was thinking of that, but I don’t have a sling and also ride with a backpack. 
The 9 is already in my leg holster, wonder if I can rig a holder on the beefy frame of the Ducati. Sort of like the racks for 4wheelers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KrAzY said:

I was thinking of that, but I don’t have a sling and also ride with a backpack. 
The 9 is already in my leg holster, wonder if I can rig a holder on the beefy frame of the Ducati. Sort of like the racks for 4wheelers

DUDE!  MOUNT IT ON THE HANDLEBARS!!!!  LIKE, POINTING OUT, ON A PIVOT!!!!  HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE!!!

• Hugs 1

23 hours ago, 12string said:

DUDE!  MOUNT IT ON THE HANDLEBARS!!!!  LIKE, POINTING OUT, ON A PIVOT!!!!  HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE!!!

I thought about that already.. I already get called on enough for my 9mm leg holder.. imagine a turret gun and how fast people will panic 

• Like 1