Speaking of forced evacuations...

Randomguy

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

I'm sorry what are  half-sours?

Sounds like a yummy meal only annually, RG.  

In New York terminology, a "full-sour" kosher dill is one that has fully fermented, while a "half-sour", given a shorter stay in the brine, is still crisp and bright green.[19] Elsewhere, these pickles may sometimes be termed "old" and "new" dills

It only took me 58 years to eat at a real deal Jewish deli, so I don't know about annually.  Maybe, I eat well lots of times, but eat lots of crap at other times.

• Heart 2

5 hours ago, Randomguy said:

...I don't know how Jewish people don't have constant heart attacks, this is not light eating.  I am glad we split everything, it would be too much to eat a whole sandwich.

...as I have mentioned before, my maternal relatives (and there are many of them) are all of the New York/retired to Miami variety.  Rest easy, because heart disease and diabetes were rampant on that side of my family. And I can, and have, eaten the whole brisket/pastrami sandwich at those NY Deli places....many times.

It was only a week ago I was talking about how I spent three hours slow cooking a brisket, while shopping for the other ingredients (Jewish Rye from Acme Baking Co, fresh kraut and half sour pickles from Costco), so I could make myself a decent Reuben sandwich.  Which was still not as good as the one you can just stumble into, at some place in the right neighborhood.

But I do have an abundance of flowers, and man does not live by Jewish Rye alone.:)

I just read somewhere that Chowhound Closes After 25 Years of Food Obsession, Wisdom and Debate, so I guess it's good you have this girlfriend now, as a guide. 

• Heart 2

On 3/10/2022 at 1:05 PM, Randomguy said:

The gf had a colonoscopy today, and I had to drive her car and pick her up.  

I had wifi and my laptop, so I was able to get some work done whilst there, which was nice.

When done, she was really hungry, and treated me to a real Jewish deli meal at a real Jewish deli in a real Jewish neighborhood.  I feel so Jewish now, but also feel bloated as anything.  We had a potato pancake with applesauce, which was great, the best coleslaw I have ever had, then a pastrami/brisket sandwich with russian Ukrainian dressing and more coleslaw on it, and we got a side of horseradish mayo.  The half-sours were great, too.  I don't know how Jewish people don't have constant heart attacks, this is not light eating.  I am glad we split everything, it would be too much to eat a whole sandwich.

The end.

You get good and hungry fasting for it!  There was a small ma-pa restaurant next to the gastro center where I had my last colonoscopy and I treated my nurse sister, who was doing the driving, to breakfast.  I had lots of eggs and lots of pancakes plus ham.

• Heart 1