Speaking of the NFL..

Parsnip Totin Jack

I found this old photo from a few years ago. In the 80's when I was single and flush with cash, I used to attend Redskin (American football) games at RFK. Preseason games were great because the seats were general admission and cheap, $10 to $13. For a summer evening it was great fun to tailgate and watch crappy football played by a lot of guys who wouldn't make the team. Regular season tickets were cheap then by today's standards. I went to Sunday late afternoon or Monday night games, because the season ticket holders only went to the 1:00 games unless it was Dallas. Parking was less than $20 and was a keg party for about 12,000 people. In today's dollars, according to the Dept of Labor Statistics, Consumer Price Index, $13 in 1983 is close to $33 today. The reality is closer to several hundred per game. Value isn't there anymore and I'm no longer playing. I will examine MLB next. Hockey? fugget about it.

12841246_10154083469956812_1225374546301729423_o.jpg

• Heart 2

At Louis Cardinals!   That was 2 years before I got to DC!

In the late 80’s early 90’s Rams were a cheap ticket.  Georgia Frontiere (AKA The Goat) fielded a crap team and moved it to Anaheim.  She alienated the LA fan base but put the team in my back yard.  The team played in a nearly empty stadium.

Being a die hard fan I went to a bunch of games and would seat surf buying a cheap seat & moving closer as the game went on.  

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, ChrisL said:

In the late 80’s early 90’s Rams were a cheap ticket.  Georgia Frontiere (AKA The Goat) fielded a crap team and moved it to Anaheim.  She alienated the LA fan base but put the team in my back yard.  The team played in a nearly empty stadium.

Being a die hard fan I went to a bunch of games and would seat surf buying a cheap seat & moving closer as the game went on.  

In the early 70's, my undergrad chemistry advisor told me that, growing up in Chicago, he had dated the daughter of the owner of the Chicago Cardinals.

I stared at him blankly until he said, "You know: the NFL team that moved to Saint Louis."

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Georgia Frontiere!  Wife of the late Carroll Rosenbloom who married him when he owned the Baltimore Colts!

When Baltimore was trying to get an NFL team in 1953, the city demonstrated its worth by pre-selling tickets to the next season's games.

Baltimore City was awarded the franchise for what became the Baltimore Colts.

Carroll Rosenbloom and other investors put together the package of money to buy the Dallas Texans - who had become a road team and were dissolved after the 1952 season and moved them in Baltimore.

A name contest ended with "Colts," celebrating the then-major horse racing industry in Maryland.

Carroll Rosenbloom - who long before had bought-out the other investors to become sole owner - wanted to sell the Colts, move to LA and buy the then-for-sale Los Angeles Rams.  But he'd have to pay huge capital gains taxes.

So, he got Robert Irsay to buy the Rams, then Rosenbloom swapped the Colts and cash for the Rams and avoided paying taxes.

Years later, when Irsay had destroyed the Colts reputation and decided to move the team to Indianapolis, Maryland claimed he did NOT own the NFL franchise since it had been awarded to Baltimore, NOT the team.  Unfortunately - or fortunately that we didn't end up with the Irsays for a longer period - a judge ruled that Baltimore didn't own it because it did not contest anything when the team-swap occurred.

Afterward, Rosenbloom passed away and Georgia Frontiere - who Rosenbloom had married in 1966 - ended up as Rams owner.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

In the early 70's, my undergrad chemistry advisor told me that, growing up in Chicago, he had dated the daughter of the owner of the Chicago Cardinals.

I stared at him blankly until he said, "You know: the NFL team that moved to Saint Louis."

I have a kid my sons age working for me now and he’s a sports nut so we get along great.  We had sports talk on and they interviewed Warren Moon and I said he killed it with the Titans and he may have played when they were the Houston Oilers too.  You mean Texans?  

Kids these days! 😂

• Haha 1

On 3/11/2022 at 6:37 AM, ChrisL said:

I have a kid my sons age working for me now and he’s a sports nut so we get along great.  We had sports talk on and they interviewed Warren Moon and I said he killed it with the Titans and he may have played when they were the Houston Oilers too.  You mean Texans?  

Kids these days! 😂

Warren Moon was the analyst for the Seahawks until he got busted for sexual harassment or whatever it’s called when your married and sleep with your nanny. An Arnold Schwarzenegger?? 

On 3/11/2022 at 9:37 AM, ChrisL said:

Kids these days! 😂

I saw the Houston Oilers play the Iggles In Philly on a Monday night. It was an experience. We were in town for an audit on the shipyard and stayed at the hotel next to the Veterans Stadium. Walked over, bought tickets in the parking lot, had dinner, a few beers, and expensed the whole thing. 

• Heart 1