Any Plans To Change Habits?

Razors Edge

...or are you planning to stick with the same things that have always been your process?

After many hurricanes, folks buy generators.  After blizzards, folks might buy snowblowers.  After energy crunches, some buy more fuel efficient vehicles.  

Of course, after many hurricanes, most folks don't buy generators, and then wonder why they didn't when the next hurricane blows in.  Same with blizzards or energy crunches.  

Are you a "set myself up for success" type, a "it won't happen again" type, or maybe a "it all works out in the end, anyway" type?  Maybe some other type?

I live in a midrise condo. Not sure how generator would work or much of one is  even allowed where I am.  heating is lumped into common costs. I pay for electricity which thankfully I chose a fixed rate which expires next yr. I've always chosen a fixed rate plan. People in our province are freaking out over their home heating /energy bills. Very high. Even in our province which produces oil and natural gas, it's freakin' out the producers themselves..since they have to operate their businesses too.

The "It works out in the end, anyways" kinda person. 

Your example of natural disaster planning at least; I qualify. I've lived on the Gulf Coast of Florida for 20 years now. Rode out 4 hurricanes of Cat 3/4 size. None were a direct hit but also none were so dire I needed a generator or couldn't flee in enough time if I was truly worried, and never has my home flooded. About all the generator would help me with would keep my food safe and prevent too much humidity in the house by running dehumidifiers, which I also do not own.

I am far enough away from the coast that by the time climate change turns my house into beach front property, I'll probably buy that generator. 

For everything else though, an ounce of prevention and a pound to cure and all that.

25 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I live in a midrise condo. Not sure how generator would work or much of one is  even allowed where I am.  heating is lumped into common costs. I pay for electricity which thankfully I chose a fixed rate which expires next yr. I've always chosen a fixed rate plan. People in our province are freaking out over their home heating /energy bills. Very high. Even in our province which produces oil and natural gas, it's freakin' out the producers themselves..since they have to operate their businesses too.

You could go with a Tesla Powerwall!  Not sure if they will add that to traditional homes, or they require solar to feed it, though.  

But for you, it gets more to the "what's your rare, but frustrating event/circumstance" that you could mitigate - power loss via generator, large snowfall via snowblower, gas price spikes via hybrid/full-electric vehicle, etc..  Since you are in a condo and down't own a car, those aren't your pain points, but maybe there is something up there, like the shortage of TP for some, that would make you change to a bidet, or the like.

Just now, Kirby said:

We can't have generators in my condo or I might get one.  I tend to prepare as I can for disasters - batteries, flashlights, water etc.  but there is only so much I can do.

There's a home for sale in my neighborhood! :scratchhead:  We avoid most of the stuff that folks panic about.

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You could go with a Tesla Powerwall!  Not sure if they will add that to traditional homes, or they require solar to feed it, though.  

But for you, it gets more to the "what's your rare, but frustrating event/circumstance" that you could mitigate - power loss via generator, large snowfall via snowblower, gas price spikes via hybrid/full-electric vehicle, etc..  Since you are in a condo and down't own a car, those aren't your pain points, but maybe there is something up there, like the shortage of TP for some, that would make you change to a bidet, or the like.

I think the Tesla Powerwall is made for traditional homes. The TP can be used with a solar array to charge it, but I thought you could charge it from the grid and have power available for when the grid goes down. More ideal for situations of brief power loss as opposed to extended outages. 

20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

:D So funny, TP shortage.  

Yes, I love my bike, my transit and walking.

Our building kicks into emergency generator which I believe lasts for a day. It did happen when the river flooded the downtown core and all along through the centre of whole City.  So for real..a disaster I know what has actually happened and in the surrounding neighbourhoods. People had to rebuild over 50% of their homes in the city who lived close to river.

43 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

"set myself up for success" type

I was brought up to be self-reliant. I have a small generator good enough to power the fridge and a few other things. I have 10 gallons of gasoline in the shed with Sta-bil in it so the gasoline lasts longer. As I've mentioned before, the generator is great. We've only had one power outage long enough to start it up in the 10 years I've owned it. 

We also keep around enough food for a couple of weeks including a can or Spam or two.

I also have a few gold and silver coins if things got that bad.

I could use a gun in case of the zombie apocalypse or more common denizens start to attack.  

5 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I think the Tesla Powerwall is made for traditional homes. The TP can be used with a solar array to charge it, but I thought you could charge it from the grid and have power available for when the grid goes down. More ideal for situations of brief power loss as opposed to extended outages. 

...but the bidet was a good option!  I just like to shill the Tesla stuff as much as possible, but that's more a side gig.

2 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I was brought up to be self-reliant. I have a small generator good enough to power the fridge and a few other things. I have 10 gallons of gasoline in the shed with Sta-bil in it so the gasoline lasts longer. As I've mentioned before, the generator is great. We've only had one power outage long enough to start it up in the 10 years I've owned it. 

We also keep around enough food for a couple of weeks including a can or Spam or two.

I also have a few gold and silver coins if things got that bad.

I could use a gun in case of the zombie apocalypse or more common denizens start to attack.  

Conceptually, this helps in a multitude of situations - power outages, storms, or going boondocking after the zombie apocalypse. 

cq5dam.web.2160.2160.jpeg

Pro Power Onboard™ * delivers exportable power and the ability to use your truck as a mobile generator when parked. Add the class-exclusive,* available 3.5L PowerBoost™ Full Hybrid V6 engine, and you can wield up to a massive 7.2kW of transferrable power.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

...or are you planning to stick with the same things that have always been your process?

After many hurricanes, folks buy generators.  After blizzards, folks might buy snowblowers.  After energy crunches, some buy more fuel efficient vehicles.  

Of course, after many hurricanes, most folks don't buy generators, and then wonder why they didn't when the next hurricane blows in.  Same with blizzards or energy crunches.  

Are you a "set myself up for success" type, a "it won't happen again" type, or maybe a "it all works out in the end, anyway" type?  Maybe some other type?

I find myself slowly getting back to things I did a while back, not much new.

I may take violin/fiddle lessons but the tuition at the Peabody Institute of Johns Hopkins U, where the adult program teachers are fantastic and the teacher I want is, has doubled its tuition, so I'm not sure what I'll do.

I've also had some plans about studying creative writing with the goal of getting a short story published in one of the Sci Fi Magazines.  I can get free tuition in classes that are not filled at UMBC because I'm a graduate of that college, but want to wait until the pandemic's over to make up my mind.

• Heart 1