Is the east side always much worse than the west side?

Randomguy

The east side of Cleveland is ghetto, mostly, whereas the west side of the Paris of Ohio is where I grew up.  The east of Denver is mediocre at best, the west side is nearer the mountains and is far prettier and nicer businesses are there.  The east side of NYC is a cultural desert in a lot of ways, other than the hoity-toity bits near the park, and the west side is mostly nicer.

This just has me wondering.

Just now, Kirby said:

East Side of NY tends to be more old school classic while the west is more artsy.

The east side of NYC is where the Irish bars are for the people who couldn't let go of college.  My first NYC gf was one of them.  She was cool and fun, and now lives in San Jose.

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The east side of NYC is where the Irish bars are for the people who couldn't let go of college. 

I read something where the premise was that people loved college because campuses are open with a lot of walkable green space in an area where all your friends lived and everything was accessible.

That is a reasonable assumption.  Plus, you could meet potential girlfriends incredibly easily, and I am sure it was the same for all the chicks, too.

The best hospitals are divided between East and West in NYC  with the East having a slight edge. The West has Columbia and the East has Sloan Kettering, Special Surgery and NY Hospital.  NYU is at the narrow part of the island where east is sort of like west anyway.

4 minutes ago, Kirby said:

The best hospitals are divided between East and West in NYC  with the East having a slight edge. The West has Columbia and the East has Sloan Kettering, Special Surgery and NY Hospital.  NYU is at the narrow part of the island where east is sort of like west anyway.

I have been to Sloan Kettering.  It has always been a point of contention for me that all the doctors seem to have offices only on the east side, and the east side is a pain in the ass to get to from the UWS.

I dislike stereotyping and how people think east side or west side is just worse, because of visible drug dealing, homelessness, etc.

Then you listen to locals who know people who do paramedic calls, work in emergency services in hospitals. ...responding to calls for people with money, high on drugs, or having pyschological problems while living in wealthy areas...  It's what  types  of problems pull down a neighbourhood or people in their personal lives  -- behind closed doors.

I think it helps if a neighbourhood area is well-lit, has park green space, amenities nearby without a major highway ripping open the neighbourhood in the middle..as a start. 

There has some shooting in expensive condo areas in Vancouver by the shoreline.

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I have been to Sloan Kettering.  It has always been a point of contention for me that all the doctors seem to have offices only on the east side, and the east side is a pain in the ass to get to from the UWS.

It would really be most convenient for me if they built a world class hospital right by Grand Central Station, but they never seem to listen to me. I visited most of the big hospitals when my parents were having their various surgeries.  Columbia was closest but the hospital is hectic.  Special Surgery has the best waiting room.  Sloan Kettering has a nice cafeteria and the second best waiting areas.  NY Presbyterian is the easiest for me to reach.

My city’s east side is an older part of town with big lots.  It’s considered more desirable and many people have torn down the small ranch style homes & built mega mansions.  East side homes are on average $200-$500 K more expensive than other neighborhoods in my city & people who buy in east side always tell you so.  Oh I live in Eastside Costa Mesa…

West side was where the industrial side of town was with more apartments. It’s a bit more run down but many of the industrial areas are being rezoned for housing so it’s coming around.   I live in Mesa North which is nicer than West Side but not as bougie as East Side. 

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

The east side of Cleveland is ghetto, mostly, whereas the west side of the Paris of Ohio is where I grew up.  The east of Denver is mediocre at best, the west side is nearer the mountains and is far prettier and nicer businesses are there.  The east side of NYC is a cultural desert in a lot of ways, other than the hoity-toity bits near the park, and the west side is mostly nicer.

This just has me wondering.

Go to London for further support of your thesis!  

...East Sacramento has the most desirable neighborhoods in this town, as well as some of the highest median home prices.  West Sacramento isn't even really in Sacramento, it's on the other side of the river, where all the grain elevators, and  rooms by the hour motels on old Hwy 50,  and hobo jungles used to be.  Now the hobo jungles are everywhere, even some in East Sacramento.  Because it's such a desirable location. :) 

When he was Governor here, Ron and Nancy Reagan lived in East Sac.  Sometimes, I bike past the house, which is still there in the Fab Forties. And I think abouit how much has changed, and how much has stayed the same. Like East and West.

I don't for one minute believe that line from the Doors, "...the West coast is the best coast."  It's just another coast.

I'm sure it depends on where your are.  The East Side of most towns from Baltimore to Washington, D.C. are closer to the Chesapeake Bay and often more expensive areas.  The same with my county between Baltimore and Annapolis.

East can even have beautiful sunsets. Remember that movie scene where John Wayne looks at the beautiful setting sun in Vietnam? The ocean is EAST of the coast at the place he was portrayed to be!

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

I'm sure it depends on where your are.  The East Side of most towns from Baltimore to Washington, D.C. are closer to the Chesapeake Bay and often more expensive areas.  The same with my county between Baltimore and Annapolis.

East can even have beautiful sunsets. Remember that movie scene where John Wayne looks at the beautiful setting sun in Vietnam? The ocean is EAST of the coast at the place he was portrayed to be!

IIRC as I haven’t been in DC in ages but South East DC was the rough neighborhood.  That’s where Ft McNair is.  North East wasn’t much better.  North West was the nice area and south west was where the mall is.