Would this annoy you?

BuffJim

Left work at 5 yesterday, parking lot was pretty empty. Got home quarter to 6. Friday night, mind you. Noticed my work phone was low so I charged it and left it there till after 7. 

Noticed that at 6 (on a Friday) my boss had sent me meeting notice for 6:30 that evening.  So I accepted the meeting notice after it had ended. I sent her an email explaining I hadn’t seen it til the meeting was over. 

14 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Depends on the positions.  

Most people, I agree, this should not happen.

Some people need to be available most / all of the time.

I’m in the middle. Since the war started we’ve been dealing with a lot of issues. 

9 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I'd ask for a call or text then.  I would not expect anyone who reported to me to check their email that frequently, especially when they are "off".

Text, but the phone was charging? Would only be annoying to me, as I disliked meeting, but I sometimes worked weird hours.

• Heart 1

To send out a meeting notice with that little notice at that time is inconsiderate and an indication of poor time management by the boss.

If the topic were important and the meeting that urgent, then the boss should start making phone calls to speak to people needed for the meeting, and then ask the people she calls to call others to give everyone the maximum 'heads up' - not only to get them to the meeting but to provide as much time as possible to prepare so the last-minute meeting can be productive.  Sending just a meeting notice or invitation reeks of the assumption that whatever else people are doing at that time is so trivial it cannot be more important than a last minute meeting.

I've received meeting notices as little as 5 minutes prior notice, typically from people whom I know are poor planners - not only of meetings but of the projects they run.  I will usually send my apologies and regrets, stating I had a prior commitment.

They don't need to know that I had already committed to putting cover sheets on all my TPS reports for the week.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

They don't need to know that I had already committed to putting cover sheets on all my TPS reports for the week.

Guess what movie BuffCarla and I watched last night?

I had seen parts of it, and BuffCarla had never seen Office Space. Good times. 

My boss sent me a quick synopsis and I told her I’d follow up with the person doing the analysis of the transaction in question and offer my help. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, BuffJim said:

Guess what movie BuffCarla and I watched last night?

I had seen parts of it, and BuffCarla had never seen Office Spaces. Good times. 

My boss sent me a quick synopsis and I told her I’d follow up with the person doing the analysis of the transaction in question and offer my help. 

Office Space is the perfect movie for endless repetition on tv. :)  A total classic.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Left work at 5 yesterday, parking lot was pretty empty. Got home quarter to 6. Friday night, mind you. Noticed my work phone was low so I charged it and left it there till after 7. 

Noticed that at 6 (on a Friday) my boss had sent me meeting notice for 6:30 that evening.  So I accepted the meeting notice after it had ended. I sent her an email explaining I hadn’t seen it til the meeting was over. 

Aren't you PAID to WORK?  This should have brought you JOY, not ANNOYANCE :D

:dontknow:

I always call people if I truly need to have an emergency planning meeting for a true emergency. I tell them I will have a call at whatever time and they are welcome to join. I do not mandate post work day meetings.  Emergency might be a student about to pass, COVID at first, flood in a school, etc.  

if I have an event that I know will take off work  hour planning I try to pre plan operations. For example as COVID went on, I sent people home half day on Friday but they knew we might need a staffing coverage meeting at 3 on Sunday. 

Depends.  If I knew there were ongoing issues and I expected to be working over the weekend, , no, although given the short notice if it were urgent, I'd expect the boss to call me for the meeting.

If this weren't something urgent, I'd be annoyed that they didn't wait until Monday.

• Awesome 1

Just had our call - accomplished what I wanted to - which was unstucking a training project that was stopped due to uncertainty of the Russian trade situation. She wasn’t upset about last night. A little apologetic about doing a Friday night call. Now my weekend starts. 

• Awesome 1

There was no such thing as limits to work hours in any of my post-college jobs.  I came in as needed and, in order to carry out my assignments, I was the one who made me work odd hours.  Fortunately it wasn't a constant situation.

When I was doing research chemistry, at one point I was working a couple months of 100 hour weeks getting a process I developed ready to start up in the plant.  The Vice President of Operations for our subsidiary of Dow Chemical jokingly told me he couldn't give me a raise that year because he was going to have to charge me rent for living on the grounds.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1