Someone here was foolish enough to claim winter was over.

maddmaxx

1 minute ago, Philander Seabury said:

Flat taar?

Dead battery, the battery had spit out the negative terminal and when the engine stopped running on a busy two lane road going up a hill on a curve. I put the terminal back on but the battery was dead. How does this happen? I could see it happen if I drove a Gremblin (who thought that was a good name for a car?) AAA loaded my car on a tiltbed and hauled it up the road to a closed up gas station to work on it. He didn’t want to get kilt working on it in traffic.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I hope they get an appropriate amount of snow today.

It's snowing fairly hard right now, but it's 41° and it had been raining since the wee hours of the morning.  No snow's sticking, not even on the grass.

The 2-4" forecast has been reduced to 1-2" which is still insane because the temperature is expected to remain above freezing until around 2 pm - around the time the snow is expected to end.

We may have icy roads until it warms up on Sunday.  Highs are forecast in the 60's from Tuesday through the following Tuesday.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Dead battery, the battery had spit out the negative terminal and when the engine stopped running on a busy two lane road going up a hill on a curve. I put the terminal back on but the battery was dead. How does this happen? I could see it happen if I drove a Gremblin (who thought that was a good name for a car?) AAA loaded my car on a tiltbed and hauled it up the road to a closed up gas station to work on it. He didn’t want to get kilt working on it in traffic.

We once had AAA change a driver’s side taar on a busy highway in a pouing rain at night. I felt bad, but not bad enough to do it myself. We had to pay a price though, he took forever to get there, got lost a few times. :(

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I had new tires mounted on the rims yesterday and the shop guys asked if they should mount them on the car.  I said no, they said, "It's March".  It was snowing during the conversation.  I normally wait till April or so. 

March weather can sometimes be brutal!

• Heart 2

27 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

We once had AAA change a driver’s side taar on a busy highway in a pouing rain at night. I felt bad, but not bad enough to do it myself. We had to pay a price though, he took forever to get there, got lost a few times. :(

Where the car coasted to a stop was right next to a mailbox with a street number on it. I thought that would be great for telling them my location. Not needed, I got a message “We have your location as 188 Tibbits-Wick road, is this correct? Dang smart phones sure make things easy. I didn’t have to wait long at all. A cop stopped and asked me to call AAA back and find the name of the garage that is coming. Then he called the garage and told them this was a priority because I’m blocking traffic during rush hour.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I hope they get an appropriate amount of snow today.

Yeah, they're suckers!  Spring is sprung down here, but it is gonna take the 60s and 70s of this week - PLUS the extra hour of daylight - to really put a firm stamp on its arrival. :happyanim:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Sounded like corrosion, and the negative lead just 'popped' off. I may have misinterpreted his initial post.

I thought he meant that the battery popped out it's terminal in a small fit of overheating and explosion.  When I first got married I was working at a Sears Auto Center on the tire and battery line.  Battery explosions were more common than I cared for.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I thought he meant that the battery popped out it's terminal in a small fit of overheating and explosion.  When I first got married I was working at a Sears Auto Center on the tire and battery line.  Battery explosions were more common than I cared for.

I think he said the fellow fixed it with a bolt.

• Heart 1

46 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Must have been me who read it wrong.  :facepalm:

I agree with your read of it - I did not see mention of a bolt, and longjohn is surely way way more than capable of dealing with a loose battry cable.  The battrey was dead. (Battry/Battrey is an homage to my old cow-orker from Missouri - that is apparently the way they say it there. :D )

4 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I agree with your read of it - I did not see mention of a bolt, and longjohn is surely way way more than capable of dealing with a loose battry cable.  The battrey was dead. (Battry/Battrey is an homage to my old cow-orker from Missouri - that is apparently the way they say it there. :D )

Why don't we just asl LJ to tell us what happened and the cure? I can't find mention of a bolt now. Just curious.

7 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

My wife wants to go for a walk. It will be 60’s later in the week.

Did you tell her go ahead?

7 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

I think he said the fellow fixed it with a bolt.

Yes there was absolutely no corrosion. The battyry post was smaller than the clamp and it wouldn’t tighten up enough. He loosened the clamp and stuck a small bolt along side the post and tightened the clamp up against the bolt. (Used the bolt like a shim). He had a new terminal but the wind was howling and the storm was coming I didn’t make him stand out in the cold any longer than he needed to to get me going. He said my alternator was putting out 14 volts. The battery should be charged by the time I get home.

Started right up this morning. I went in town to get a haircut. Drove through drifts that just about stalled me out. My Element would have taken them in stride.

• Awesome 2

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Last Saturday in 67 degree sunshine, I pit the snowblower away for the season.  Yesterday I shoveled the driveway before work.  This morning in 17 degree weather with snow falling, I shoveled the driveway again.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Did you tell her go ahead?

Yes there was absolutely no corrosion. The battyry post was smaller than the clamp and it wouldn’t tighten up enough. He loosened the clamp and stuck a small bolt along side the post and tightened the clamp up against the bolt. (Used the bolt like a shim). He had a new terminal but the wind was howling and the storm was coming I didn’t make him stand out in the cold any longer than he needed to to get me going. He said my alternator was putting out 14 volts. The battery should be charged by the time I get home.

Started right up this morning. I went in town to get a haircut. Drove through drifts that just about stalled me out. My Element would have taken them in stride.

You have to love shade tree mechanics and the solutions they have.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1