Damm it's cold

BR46

It's 7° outside with a windchill -15° 

It's going to make loading up the motorhome and trailer a pain so do I drain the coolant out of the motorcycle and load it up today or hope that it will be warmer tomorrow and load the trailer at the last minute before we leave. 

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Put antifreeze in the bike so you don’t have to worry about it.

Not allowed to use antifreeze in the bikes. 

It's hard to clean up if there's a spill.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BR46 said:

It's going to make loading up the motorhome and trailer a pain so do I drain the coolant out of the motorcycle and load it up today or hope that it will be warmer tomorrow and load the trailer at the last minute before we leave. 

Load tomorrow

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Don't suppose a space heater inside the trailer would be an option, with fuel etc.? I'd probably drain it and refill, as it is just water.

It's filled with a coolant called WaterWetter. It's raises the boiling point but it doesn't prevent freezing. 

I'm going to hold off until the last minute if I going to drain the system because I have everything safety wired shut. 

• Heart 3

14 minutes ago, BR46 said:

The CR500 is a 1990 2 stroke and they were water cooled in 85

Oh yeah. I forgot aboot the older water cooled 2 strokes,  Longjohn had one, and here is the first, the water buffalo. :D  I also forgot how old I am because I though my 84 Honda Sabre was sort if a new thing with water cooling for a Japanese motorcycle.  I wonder when Japanese water cooled 4 strokes first appeared. Hmm, looks like this was the first period, so I guess a touch later than this two stroke.  I don't know how it differed for motocross type bikes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GT750

11 hours ago, BR46 said:

Yeah it was a COLD walk this morning with the dogs.  About 12 here, that wasn't too bad.  It was the wind that made the walk cold.  

Freezing the engine block would not be a good thing.   I'd wait till the last minute.  

It's should be warmer here tomorrow, up to 51 in the afternoon.   That will feel hot compared to today. 

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Yeah it was a COLD walk this morning with the dogs.  About 12 here, that wasn't too bad.  It was the wind that made the walk cold.  

Freezing the engine block would not be a good thing.   I'd wait till the last minute.  

It's should be warmer here tomorrow, up to 51 in the afternoon.   That will feel hot compared to today. 

We are planning on loading the trailer in the morning and getting on the road around noon. Won't be able to put any water in the motorhome because our outside faucet is frozen. 

We had one really cold night, 19°, Fri-Sat night and it's 29° at 11:25 on Sunday - heading toward a high of 40°.

But we've been having unusually warm weather: March came in like a Lamb.  The forecast is for a high of 57° Monday, then highs in the 60's or low 70's for the next 8 days.  That's unusually warm for us but I hope the forecast holds.

I've been getting a kick out of how much lower my energy bills are in my rebuilt house (Jan.-Mar. '22 total: $562.45 compared to $973.64 2014-20 avg.). My avg. April gas & electric bill for March's usage has been $250.10 from 2014-20 (house being rebuilt in 2021) and the energy company's predictions of my future bills are starting to match my new furnace/air conditioning/insulation/etc. and I hope the good weather resumes as predicted:

image.png.5e7f6567bbfa8824a168940fb931c5a0.png image.png.a31386f45e372cb51549fadf0b0c5257.png

• Heart 1