So how much will this cost me???

Bikeguy

I received an email from my cable tv / internet provider.

Beginning on March 14, 2022, your Internet 100 service will become Internet 200. The speeds associated with your account will increase from your current download speed up to 100 Mbps and upload speed up to 10 Mbps to your new download speed up to 200 Mbps and upload speed up to 10 Mbps at no additional charge. Your monthly data usage allowance will remain 1,000 GB. 

They NEVER do anything for free.  I already pay them too much $80 for internet each month.  My only other choice would be satellite internet, and the last time I checked they cost more, and had data caps way lower than that I actual use each month.

So how much will this 'free' upgrade cost me?  :wacko:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

They NEVER do anything for free.  I already pay them too much $80 for internet each month.  My only other choice would be satellite internet, and the last time I checked they cost more, and had data caps way lower than that I actual use each month.

Hmm.  Try satellite Internet for a month, and then come back and tell us $80 is too much for "real" internet. :D  $80 would seem a bargain to many after dealing with no or awful internet.

Alternatively, though, using your cell phone as a hotspot would be an option.  Dump cable/fiber internet altogether, and just roll with the data plan on your phone. If 5G rolls out to your area, it might be an even more enticing option.

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

your existing gizmo box won't work anymore.

My new gizmo boxes are good for up to 1GB of download speed.   

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I rarely call the cable company.  When I do, I learn I am on a plan they no longer offer.  The last time I called I get faster speeds for the same money, plus more channels.

I don't call, I visit the local office about once a year and complain about the cost, and threaten to leave, etc...   Then they find a way to reduce the cost for one more year.  

51 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

$80 would seem a bargain to many after dealing with no or awful internet.

Yeah... that is true.  I remember paying $75 a month for DSL and on a good say I got less than 1/100th (1/200th in a few days) the speed I have now.  

• Heart 1