How are you cooking your Corned Beef and Cabbage

BuffJim

Must have the spice pack! Had to be careful as the cheapest per pound didn't with the more per pound next to them. Skipped and returned the next week when on sale...both at the same $3.99/lb. Since they were inter-mixed on the shelf, had to make sure the spice packet was included.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Tizeye said:

Must have the spice pack! Had to be careful as the cheapest per pound didn't with the more per pound next to them. Skipped and returned the next week when on sale...both at the same $3.99/lb. Since they were inter-mixed on the shelf, had to make sure the spice packet was included.

I just use the on hand pickling Spice I have. But you are right, it definitely needs that flavor. 

• Heart 1

I slow cook it. I prefer flat over point as it’s a less fatty cut. Not making any today. We are getting snow right now so I’m making chili and Mac and cheese. Chili has cubed chuck (2 lbs) with salt, chili powder, and flour. Browned in bacon fat. Two onion, white and sweet, six cloves garlic, minced. Three pounds ground chuck, 1/2 cup homemade chili powder (ancho, guajillo, de Arbol, and chipotle). 4 cups beef broth, two cans diced tomatoes with green peppers. Two cans of seasoned chili beans and cumin powder will be added later. 

• Heart 2

I think that is probably on the bill for next weekend.  Today is chili day here too!  That is one of the few things that I miss cooking.  I always made a bigger production oot of it than my wife does, but it still works for me!  But now she is upsetting me because she wants to BUY cornbread for it instead of making it.  I told her the store stuff is loaded with sugar but she doesn't care.  Arghh.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, Philander Seabury said:

I think that is probably on the bill for next weekend.  Today is chili day here too!  That is one of the few things that I miss cooking.  I always made a bigger production oot of it than my wife does, but it still works for me!  But now she is upsetting me because she wants to BUY cornbread for it instead of making it.  I told her the store stuff is loaded with sugar but she doesn't care.  Arghh.

In my kitchen, buying cornbread is grounds for divorce. 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

In my kitchen, buying cornbread is grounds for divorce. 

Well, you are a far better cook than me!  Mine often comes oot dry.  How can I prevent that?  Not overbake it? :whistle: :D

Those effing eville grocery stores do do a pretty good job of keeping it moist, the bastards!

• Heart 1

Just now, Philander Seabury said:

Well, you are a far better cook than me!  Mine often comes oot dry.  How can I prevent that?  Not overbake it? :whistle: :D

My secret is bacon fat and a cast iron skillet. One cup flour, one cup stone ground cornmeal, 1/2 tsp salt, 4 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp sugar, 1 egg, 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup hot bacon fat. I heat the oven to 425. Add 1/4 cup (4 Tblsp bacon fat) and place in the oven to heat. Mix ingredients, add hot fat to mix. Pour into hot skillet and bake 20-25 minutes. Comes out excellent every time. 

• Heart 3

My family name is Irish, but my other three grandparents were Alsatian (French/German), Polish and Polish.

So maybe that's why I replace the plain cabbage with sauerkraut!

I used to simmer a 3 lb corned beef for 3 hrs, barely boiling as directed, on the stovetop with the seasoning packet provided with it.

Last year @goldendesign posted How's your corned beef game? here and mentioned pressure cooking.

I decided to try pressure cooking it in an Instant Pot and found a recipe that worked great here, with an accompanying video here.

I calls for high-pressure cooking a 3 lb corned beef for 90 minutes plus a 10 minute natural pressure release, then removing the cooked corn beef, adding potatoes, carrots, and cabbage to the hot broth in the pot, and pressure cooking for 3 minutes.

That's my method now.

I did run across how-to for corned beef webpage in 2017 that's no longer up that includes a microwave recipe - though I don't think I'll try it:

MICROWAVE IT IN MINUTES

This is perhaps the quickest way to cook corned beef, and it yields a piece of meat that is surprisingly more tender than you  might guess. To Microwave Your Corned Beef:

· 1. Place your corned beef in an Oven Bag (the type you’d cook a turkey in) with the corned beef spice packet, a splash of orange juice or vinegar, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, and a cup of water.

· 2. Tie the bag in a knot, shake it around to spread all of the ingredients throughout the bag, cut two or three small slits in the bag, then microwave it on high for 10 minutes.

· 3. Reduce your microwave power to 60% (level 5 or 6) and cook it an additional 20 minutes.

· 4. Allow the meat to stand for 30 minutes before serving.

Of course Anne, the Ireland-born receptionist at the chemical company where I once was a research chemist, was the first of many to point out to me that there's nothing Irish about Corned Beef and Cabbage outside of the American Irish.

For those interested in a real Irish meal that's superb, a part-time caterer who lives in Ireland posted a fantastic recipe (rated an avg. 5 out of 5 by 281 raters) on food.com for Traditional Irish Shepherd's Pie and writes: "Posting this per a request. I've said it once and I'll say it again there is nothing Irish about Corned Beef and Cabbage, but Shepherd's Pie has always been and still is a staple of traditional Irish cooking. This is a really easy, but tasty recipe..."

When I make Shepherd's Pie, I make 5 at a time and 4 of them go into disposable lasagna pans: 1 for each of my 2 siblings' families, 2 for my freezer, and 1 for me when I make it.

• Heart 3