stupid way of saving files?

shootingstar

27 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I guess it's wrong to save a .pdf as a .jpg, etc.?  I mean  a .jpeg .jpg file inherently different right?  

You can convert a PDF to a JPG.    This is just one way.  link

Yes they are different file structurers. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Thx so much! It was set of 1960's family photos.... youngest sister is asking but unfortunately she's not in them. Being the last kid, it's hard..

The story of my life.  The sister I refer to as the bitch sister put together a photo album for the family for Christmas one year of “the good old days” with a bunch of old family pictures.  Apparently the good old days didn’t include me or my older brother.  

Gee thanks sis… 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I guess it's wrong to save a .pdf as a .jpg, etc.?  I mean  a .jpeg .jpg file inherently different right?  

They are one and the same - ".jpg" = ".jpeg".  I think it was just the olden days where DOS was a <filename>.<xyz>  format (8 character name and 3 char type of file).

Why do you want to save a PDF as a jpg?  Both are universal across all computer and phone OS, so does saving a PDF as a jpg help solve a problem? I probably go the other direction (jpg -> pdf) and can't actually recall going from pdf -> jpg, but could see it if I was trying to grab a chart or block of text and embed in a word doc or similar. But then I would likely just use a "snipping" tool to grab what I wanted. 

13 hours ago, ChrisL said:

The story of my life.  The sister I refer to as the bitch sister put together a photo album for the family for Christmas one year of “the good old days” with a bunch of old family pictures.  Apparently the good old days didn’t include me or my older brother.  

Gee thanks sis… 

...and hence her nickname :)

19 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

They are one and the same - ".jpg" = ".jpeg".  I think it was just the olden days where DOS was a <filename>.<xyz>  format (8 character name and 3 char type of file).

Why do you want to save a PDF as a jpg?  Both are universal across all computer and phone OS, so does saving a PDF as a jpg help solve a problem? I probably go the other direction (jpg -> pdf) and can't actually recall going from pdf -> jpg, but could see it if I was trying to grab a chart or block of text and embed in a word doc or similar. But then I would likely just use a "snipping" tool to grab what I wanted. 

It seems to me a .jpg might be clearer.  However, preservation-wise, .pdf is better?

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

It seems to me a .jpg might be clearer.  However, preservation-wise, .pdf is better?

My simple rule would be - jpg for photos, pdf for documents.  I don't see one as "better" than the other, just different.  Not know ing what you are working on, I couldn't offer a recommendation.  But if it is scanning old family photos, I would absolutely do it to jpg and at max resolution of the scanner.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

My simple rule would be - jpg for photos, pdf for documents.  I don't see one as "better" than the other, just different.  Not know ing what you are working on, I couldn't offer a recommendation.  But if it is scanning old family photos, I would absolutely do it to jpg and at max resolution of the scanner.

Or… with a halfway decent camera, take photos of the old photos. It will do the same job, but way faster. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, groupw said:

Or… with a halfway decent camera, take photos of the old photos. It will do the same job, but way faster. 

Yep - there are apps for IOS & Android that easily take photos and arrange them.  Similarly, apps for quick pdf creation.