Spirit Air can be a real PITA!

Ralphie

18 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I think she is beginning to see the light.  But $150 vs $500 is a pretty strong motivator.

Yeah, it's like taking Greyhound vs Amtrak vs Spirit vs American/Delta.  You'll get there - at some point - so if time = money, you go with the most direct and reliable option. If you have WAY more time than money, you can easily pick those less reliable and/or less speedy options.  

When we were younger (ie poorer) we would fly Iceland Air because it was always cheaper than United or American or other "normal" carriers".  BUT - it left out of Baltimore, always had a lay over in Iceland, and if you missed the connection, the next flights from Iceland were brutal.  A couple decades later, and we would only fly Iceland Air if we wanted to go to Iceland :) 

36 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Yeah, I can see yesterday but today was a pain.  I guess it could be fallout from yesterday.

I couldn’t get to Florida on Southwest on Thursday night. Direct flight to Tampa was cancelled and a PGH-BWI-Sarasota wasn’t going to make it to BWI in time for the connection. If I had flown to BWI but missed the connection, I couldn’t get a flight on Friday until 8 pm. So I booked an 11 am flight from PGH on Friday, that then got rescheduled to 1:30, and wouldn’t arrive in Sarasota until 4:30 pm. It ruined our Friday plans, and we ultimately just cancelled, since it was going to rain most of the day on Saturday. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I couldn’t get to Florida on Southwest on Thursday night. Direct flight to Tampa was cancelled and a PGH-BWI-Sarasota wasn’t going to make it to BWI in time for the connection. If I had flown to BWI but missed the connection, I couldn’t get a flight on Friday until 8 pm. So I booked an 11 am flight from PGH on Friday, that then got rescheduled to 1:30, and wouldn’t arrive in Sarasota until 4:30 pm. It ruined our Friday plans, and we ultimately just cancelled, since it was going to rain most of the day on Saturday. 

I was talking to my sister, and she was telling me they dropped the Erie <-> Dulles flight.  What a nightmare living near a smaller airport.  Connections suck, competition is helpful, and losing a vacation due to weather(?) or just scheduling difficulties really would drive me nuts.  PGH is her go-to airport (and Cleveland and maybe Buffalo?), but too many of her options are to fly through Chicago or some other larger hub :( 

So her flight now is overbooked so she is seeing if she can get an American flight instead. You would think they would warn you they were severely overbooked in time to prevent an unnecessary trip to the airport. I guess they really do need to be avoided. :angry: We drove all the way to Atlantic City  instead of the original Philly. 

Hmmm. I'll know what airlines not to even look at.  I haven't flown on any cheapie airline company ..yet. With the fuel prices, wonder how much if any deals, there will be in ie. 6 months from now.  I live in a city where most locals like Westjet airline ...partially because it has roots here and they claim better  service. 

If one is retired...you have alot more options ie. more time..to deal with unexpected cancellations. <_< Not sure, if that would ever be a reason to influence me to patronize a company with that sort of problem.