The Math Doesn’t Add Up?

ChrisL

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I worry that you are actually safer on the race track - racing like mad but with "skilled" maniacs - than on public roads - riding reasonably, but with unskilled and often distracted and enraged "maniacs". :(

Anyone actually know what the death & injury rates are for motorcycle racing vs public roads? Or for auto racing?  It seems a big deal when someone like Earnhardt or Senna die while racing, but comparatively, even though it seems rare, is it also so many fewer miles that it is more dangerous? 

Generally, you'd have to think "pro" or "skilled" drivers are a safer bet, but we also know racing is done at or near the margins of maximum risk, whereas we hope, driving on public roads is done at 50% or with significantly greater margin for error. 

On the track everyone is going same direction. No one making a left turn in front of you. No one is trying to text, drinking coffee or steering with their knee while eating a quarter pounder. 

Our race bikes go through inspection every weekend. Every time we come off the track we have to go through hot tech before we can go back to the pits. If hot tech sees anything that doesn't look right they will pull your tec sticker and you will have to go through tech inspection. 

If you come back in the crash truck for any reason (I ran out of gas in practice) they can pull your tech sticker. If you bike falls over they will pull your sticker. I you hit the ground don't be surprised if a couple of people show up in your pits to inspect you, your leathers and your helmet. 

I failed tech because I forgot to put the valve cap on after checking tire pressure. 

Imagine if you had to go through tech before your drive to work and before you can pull into a parking spot someone will give your car a quick once over. 

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

This comment is totally foreign to me.:whistle: We buy a truck to use, and battle scars just add character.

My trucks were always well seasoned, but they were work trucks, bought for work, and they didn't cost a kings ransom.

Work trucks, ones without all the fancy creature comforts, and showy bodywork are hard to find nowadays. My brother in law just spent 30,000 on a used pickup to use as a truck, I haven't seen it so I don't know how fancy it is, but 30 grand for a beater is too rich for me.

And whats with all the trucks getting so damn tall, an F250 super duty the bed floor has to be 4 feet off the ground, that extra foot or so of vertical could add up if you were loading firewood, or bricks or some such.

• Heart 3