Martial arts fighting, multi-universe & other unrelatable stuff- give me real heros, heroines

shootingstar

I know, alot of  you may not know her:  Michelle Yeoh is a big star in Hong Kong and now, her celebrity status got bumped after Crazy Rich Asians. She starred prior to that,  in action stunt movies with action plots / martial arts ... She did real stunts in  movies in HK. She didn't have a double to cover her ass.  Now she'll be in Everything, Everywhere All At Once  with Jamie Lee Curtis  (who is a dowdy, plump IRA employee auditing a Chinese laundromat). So movie  story  again goes into fantastical,action, alternate worlds of:  good vs. evil, etc.

Then other recent movies along this...starring fights, special effects, action, martial arts, etc.   Everything Everywhere All at Once trailer: Michelle Yeoh takes a trip across the multiverse | EW.com

While it's great stuff,  interesting plot-lines. I honestly wonder if Asian performers will get out of this wierd/exotic plot thing, fantastical worlds route for North  American produced movies.   Why don't they do a movie about someone who wants...to be a cycling star, etc.? I guess that's not enough blood, movement and glamour. :party:

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

While it's great stuff,  interesting plot-lines. I honestly wonder if Asian performers will get out of this wierd/exotic plot thing, fantastical worlds route for North  American produced movies.   Why don't they do a movie about someone who wants...to be a cycling star, etc.? I guess that's not enough blood, movement and glamour.

Cycling star? That is EXOTIC! Or, at least WEIRD!!!

• Haha 1

I enjoy Michelle Yeoh! She’s a very good actor and a gorgeous contemporary. To me, the biggest compliment is the fact she is an Asian woman is an aside. She does a great job with her roles and, oh yeah, she’s Asian. 
I haven’t seen many interviews with her. Is it possible she is avoiding characters that are strictly Asian to avoid typecasting?

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, groupw said:

I enjoy Michelle Yeoh! She’s a very good actor and a gorgeous contemporary. To me, the biggest compliment is the fact she is an Asian woman is an aside. She does a great job with her roles and, oh yeah, she’s Asian. 
I haven’t seen many interviews with her. Is it possible she is avoiding characters that are strictly Asian to avoid typecasting?

As for the typcasting, maybe.  But then she started  off in HK first.

Here's a very recent interview: Michelle Yeoh takes a mind-bending trip in Everything Everywhere All at Once | EW.com  She's coming in at the right time  in North American/English speaking movies and at the right time in her life career-wise. She brings to the screen now more depth.  I wish I knew more  about martial arts..beyond the little I know as an exercise discipline. Tai chi borrows  from kung fun in certain maneouvres..ie. deflecting negative energy to put your opponent off-balance.  She was shocked the hell of Jackie Chan, Jet Li, these guys did do stunts with no double....way back in the 1980's when she did certain maneouvres. She jumps and rolls off  hood of car. Jackie Chan was shocked and demanded that was enough for the scene. That footage is in 1 of the films which really was death defying for Yeoh.

This upcoming  2022 new movie  will  get a ton of fans  worldwide...die-hard as well as first-time curiosity seekers. Admittedly I'm curious... then there's Jamie Curtis who defiantly doesn't hide her real tummy. I'm sorry I've destroyed every guy here who liked that striptease dance she did ages ago in a movie. She gamely has enjoyed being the new movie with Yeoh.

image.png.b4df2d7120f8a20f24d5da5008dd325c.png

48 minutes ago, Dottles said:

The only heroes in this world are the ones taking care of their families. 

And heroines, dear sir.

As for plot of this upcoming movie:  Everything Everywhere All at Once Is the Best Multiverse Movie Ever | Den of Geek Now I realize how unusual this movie is...Everything Everywhere All at Once Review: A Multiverse Masterpiece | IndieWire