What food gift appreciated by your family?

shootingstar

As I said in another thread just now, I  know when I buy some lean BBQ  Chinese roasted pork for my mother after not seeing her for 3 yrs., it would be appreciated.  She's never made it at home herself  (some families  do), so carefully cut slices from the BBQ shop is a nice, easy gift touch that would last  her for several days. 

I know people here associate it with some sort Asian picnic/backyard dish. 

It's a dish also served sometimes as 1 of the celebratory dishes for any occasion,  backyard or multi-course banquets  for birthdays, weddings, etc.

I know  all of us and next generations will eat it too. No one in  my family is vegetarian at this time nor  does anyone in my extended family, make this dish at home.

• Heart 1

When my Mom used to make a big family dinner, my not wild sister would usually bring the mashed potatoes because cooking and peeling the potatoes could take up time..  Nobody wants me to cook, so I'll usually bring dessert because I have a very good bakery nearby.  It's a win when I can get the streudel because they don't make it all the time.

• Heart 3

7 minutes ago, Kirby said:

When my Mom used to make a big family dinner, my not wild sister would usually bring the mashed potatoes because cooking and peeling the potatoes could take up time..  Nobody wants me to cook, so I'll usually bring dessert because I have a very good bakery nearby.  It's a win when I can get the streudel because they don't make it all the time.

Is it apple strudel?

Yes, but the bakery only makes it every so often so it's always a treat if you can find it.  Last week the bakery was out so I brought one from the grocery store to my sister's.  The apples were delicious, but the pastry wasn't nearly as good as the bakery one. Luckily I brought something else as a backup .

• Heart 2

The bread makes it different than minestrone. First you make the bread. Let it sit around a couple days. Cut Into biggish cubes season with olive oil and herbs. Then it goes in the soup right before serving. Too with lots of fresh grated Parmesan cheese. 

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Airehead said:

The bread makes it different than minestrone. First you make the bread. Let it sit around a couple days. Cut Into biggish cubes season with olive oil and herbs. Then it goes in the soup right before serving. Too with lots of fresh grated Parmesan cheese. 

Sounds like comfort, filling dinner dish in itself.  You know what  would surprise my family? If one of us (siblings) or younger generations, made dim sum as a dish. I know this sounds  incredible, dim sum takes time, certain types longer than others.

So my mother is the last without-cookbook dim sum-maker... including sticky rice packets. Another art form..

• Heart 1

Personally made...not commercial. I know I have had an "edible bouquet" and it was a royal pain to eat the fruit fast enough before it spoiled.

In college, I made a pecan pie - knocked the pecans out of the tree and shelled them - and as my girlfriend (now wife) went to my parents for Christmas 250 miles away, brought my mom a pecan pie. Her friends and neighbors came over served the some of her homemade cookies and bourbon infused fruitcake. I mentioned the pecan pie and will never forget her non-verbal reply was the look to kill! Later, I walk into the kitchen and there she was in the corner sneaking her personal slice of pecan pie.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Several of my siblings have perfected my moms signature dishes.  I make her pea soup, meatball soup, lumpia (egg rolls), bami (stir fried noodles) and my satay is closest to hers (well exactly like hers)  as I’m the only person she taught to make it her way.  I took over satay duty from her well before she had her stroke as it’s really labor intensive to make 300+ satay for a big party. 

I’ll make these dishes for family and I make the lumpia every Christmas for gifts.  

• Heart 2

When they were plentiful, I used to pick up Fanny Bay oysters and crabs  when on Vancouver Island (Comox) and clams from locals in Haida Gwaii.   I also used to buy Haida silver jewellery for my wife in Sandspit. 

Of course, everyone is sent fruitcake and shortbread at Christmas as has been a tradition for generations. 

• Heart 2