Please Use ROATE or SOARE in a Sentence

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by Kirby,

21 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

The point of using soare and roate in Wordle to win at all costs.  These words use high frequency letters in the positions they would normally fall in a five letter word more than lets say "nasty" or "bagel" would.

The only drawback is that they will likely never be used as Wordle solution words.  Therefore, your chances of ever getting really lucky and winning in one word are practically nil. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

To win what?  The game? Or against us?

the object of wordle is to guess a word in the fewest tries I thought.  Roate and Soare work for me to achieve that end goal.  I would prefer to do it in two or three guesses instead of 5.  I compete against myself I guess.  I used to do the word scramble and see if I could tie or beat the high score the game listed.

5 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

The only drawback is that they will likely never be used as Wordle solution words.  Therefore, your chances of ever getting really lucky and winning in one word are practically nil. 

Yep - so words we have never seen nor used are the words chosen to start?  Yuck. 

4 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

the object of wordle is to guess a word in the fewest tries I thought.  Roate and Soare work for me to achieve that end goal.  I would prefer to do it in two or three guesses instead of 5.  I compete against myself I guess.  I used to do the word scramble and see if I could tie or beat the high score the game listed.

I don't think SOARE or ROATE or ADIEU result in quicker results.  I'd be interested to see if they do - in "normal" play vs the optimized calculating competitive world of Wordle that most (all?) of us here are not a part of.

3 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

the object of wordle is to guess a word in the fewest tries I thought.  Roate and Soare work for me to achieve that end goal.

As long as they are real words, i don't see what the problem is.  The game is about words.  If Wordle accepts them, then that is all that counts.  I never use the word ADIEU, either, but it seems to be a very popular first word here.  

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Approximately one in 2,315, according to an article I just read written by some guy on internet. 

The 5 most popular letters are E, A, R, O, T.  We input them on the site and it creates 3 words out of them:  OATER, ORATE, and ROATE.  Hence using any of these 3 words is better than using ANY other initial guess if your goal is to get the best possible outcome for your second guess only.  So this doesn’t take any tactics into account.  These 3 words are not among the 2315 Wordle words so you will never get a “solved in 1” using them. 

4 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

The 5 most popular letters are E, A, R, O, T.  We input them on the site and it creates 3 words out of them:  OATER, ORATE, and ROATE.  Hence using any of these 3 words is better than using ANY other initial guess if your goal is to get the best possible outcome for your second guess only.  So this doesn’t take any tactics into account.  These 3 words are not among the 2315 Wordle words so you will never get a “solved in 1” using them. 

I wonder why ORATE is not a solution? 

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

So words that are seldom used are bogus words?  Oh, crap!  The dictionary is full of bogus words!  :o

This brings to mind my wife and I playing scrabble, which we gave up long ago. I think roate is really an acronym. I think I tried snafu for comparison but my memory being what it is, I forget the result.  But I guess some acronyms like that have wormed their way unto being words. 

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

So words that are seldom used are bogus words?  Oh, crap!  The dictionary is full of bogus words!  :o

Meh!

When I see "obsolete variant of ROTE" or "soare - British English - obsolete - a young hawk", I put them in the "don't use" category!

• Awesome 1

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I wonder why ORATE is not a solution? 

According to the internet guy:

Wordle says there are 10657 US English 5-letter words. I don't know how up to date the list is, but let's use it for now.

https://gist.github.com/cfreshman/cdcdf777450c5b5301e439061d29694c

Only 2315 words are used as answers as the rest are too obscure and would make the game a trial-and-error game for regular people.

• Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Only 2315 words are used as answers as the rest are too obscure and would make the game a trial-and-error game for regular people.

I also feel this way about words that can be nine different words, depending on just one letter in one position.  

50 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Don't get me started on FOREIGN WORDS!!!! :runcirclsmiley:

Adieu is an English word since the 14th Century, adopted from old French. I’d love to see the 2022 use rate for Adieu to see the Wordle Effect.

Originally said to the party left (farewell was to the party setting forth), but in English used as a general parting salutation. As a noun, "expression of kind wishes upon departure," late 14c. Compare native parting salutation good-bye, a contraction of God be with ye.

97761ADA-0166-4C4B-A51E-DE58F0EC1AE4.png