Interesting Panniers

Razors Edge

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

and Yes, I am very wary of not seeing the inside.  I can't stand the big inner cavern.  It is hard to find things.  I like that mine have a top zipper.  It neatly holds things like keys, cell phone, wallet, etc.

My main pair are Ortliebs, and they are cavernous on the inside.  It worked well for my commute, but I don't LOVE them.  A bit annoying to carry when walking the last bit with them using the flimsy shoulder strap.

I was going to get a pair of panniers to ride to and pick up small amounts of groceries - I use a rear rack on my bikes to carry a tool/food bag so it would be simple.  But bad roads made me give up the idea.

There are a couple routes I can take from home that use or lead to bike lanes for miles and miles.  But NONE of them go past a single supermarket - except one that's a bent-can discount market that's not very clean.

Still, I tried riding to a couple supermarkets but it was too dangerous to do often because of things like having to cross the space where the beginning of an expressway entrance ramp meets the highway, where a hill and wall prevent you from seeing the approaching cars that are going about 50 mph until they're right on top of you.

7 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I was going to get a pair of panniers to ride to and pick up small amounts of groceries - I use a rear rack on my bikes to carry a tool/food bag so it would be simple.  But bad roads made me give up the idea.

There are a couple routes I can take from home that use or lead to bike lanes for miles and miles.  But NONE of them go past a single supermarket - except one that's a bent-can discount market that's not very clean.

Still, I tried riding to a couple supermarkets but it was too dangerous to do often because of things like having to cross the space where the beginning of an expressway entrance ramp meets the highway, where a hill and wall prevent you from seeing the approaching cars that are going about 50 mph until they're right on top of you.

It is hard to commute in some cities with a bike.  I have one highway on ramp to deal with.  It is pretty benign though.  It makes me feel very lucky to be able to do this.  

• Heart 1

Those would be ok for my cold weather riding because I like to have options on what to wear/take off and stash. But I already have three sets of panniers and really any of them would work for that. I plan of buying some larger waterproof panniers for my next bike packing adventure which I haven’t planned yet. I’ve been looking for a cyclist girlfriend but the ones I found lived too far away or had other things that would not make us a good match.

Probably doesn't matter much, maybe little bit more on an e-bike to conserve battery life. Couple weeks ago was riding on a local path into a strong headwind, rollin' aboot 10mph. A couple was riding too, both on e-bikes. The wife say to me "impressive leg strength", "thanks" I said, and "hope your batteries last" :D I was being serious, because it was difficult to pedal.

50 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Husbands?

No their faith. They were Jewish, we believe in the same God but they don’t believe in Jesus.

22 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Probably doesn't matter much, maybe little bit more on an e-bike to conserve battery life. Couple weeks ago was riding on a local path into a strong headwind, rollin' aboot 10mph. A couple was riding too, both on e-bikes. The wife say to me "impressive leg strength", "thanks" I said, and "hope your batteries last" :D I was being serious, because it was difficult to pedal.

when their batteries die they can just turn around and let the tailwind blow them back to the start.

• Heart 1

Just now, Longjohn said:

No their faith. They were Jewish, we believe in the same God but they don’t believe in Jesus.

when their batteries die they can just turn around and let the tailwind blow them back to the start.

hopefully that was the direction of the start :D I think it was, because I seen them later downwind

• Heart 1

s-l400.jpg

I recently scored a pair of Robert Beckman Designs beauties, over at the co-op where I stole all my bikes.

Sadly, I had to buy these, because I no longer work there.  Still a deal.  Like the Dior of panniers, from back in the '80's.

They are so nice that I haven't figured out what bike to put them on, yet. :)

...here are a set of the Beckman panniers, listed in an online museum of olde bike stuff.

"Among the cyclists who toured around the world in the 1980's and early 90's, these Bob Beckman Canvas/cotton and leather panniers are the stuff of legend.  They were all custom order, high dollar bags.  They are stuffed to the brim with ingenious features, such as many modular sleeves/pockets/pouches on the inside/outside, flaps that securely fold over the zippers for rain resistance, and compression straps that won't get caught in your spokes if they're left unbuckled thanks to strap loops everywhere.  The included Beckman rain covers have a slit on the bottom so rain doesn't pool there.  There are two large main compartments on each bag, as well as a zippered mesh pocket on the front to let the rain cover dry when not in use.  The inside is cleverly very bright in color, making it easier to find objects."

12 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

...from Specialized.  "Aero"????  Is that necessary?  Also disappointing is no interior photos.

41122-620_BAG_TAILWIND-PANNIER-HYPRVIZ-L

...and even less so on an e-bike?

TRBO-2246_Tailwind_PDP_LowerCarousel_1?$

It looks like the bike saddle or the whole bike geometry, is a bit too low for her.

I need  somewhat cavernous panniers with side  pocket and zippered to put into smaller things. I'm often carting around groceries...and lots of it. To a point I'm piling on TP  :) or cornflakes and bungie cord them down  onto back bike rack. I can't have a soft-shaped like that....I'm often tightly pushing in all sorts of lumpy food pkgs. inside pannier to fit inside.

I would not choose 100% lime green since it would get dirty fast. I ride all over the place with a pannier. Always. I have to carry U-lock inside and bungie cords.

• Awesome 1

I like to have lots of options on which panniers to use. I once had to make two trips in town to buy a starter for my Ford van. The first one they sold me was a dud. It looked pretty but it didn’t work. I made them test the second one before I brought it home. I wouldn’t want to use my best panniers for hauling auto parts around.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, shootingstar said:

It looks like the bike saddle or the whole bike geometry, is a bit too low for her.

I need  somewhat cavernous panniers with side  pocket and zippered to put into smaller things. I'm often carting around groceries...and lots of it. To a point I'm piling on TP  :) or cornflakes and bungie cord them down  onto back bike rack. I can't have a soft-shaped like that....I'm often tightly pushing in all sorts of lumpy food pkgs. inside pannier to fit inside.

I would not choose 100% lime green since it would get dirty fast. I ride all over the place with a pannier. Always. I have to carry U-lock inside and bungie cords.

You need what I got.

Big Dummy 1.jpg

3 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

You need what I got.

Big Dummy 1.jpg

I have a set of those grocery bag panniers. My road is too rough for them, stuff will bounce out. I did use them on my first DC trip because they were the only panniers I could find within fifty miles. I made covers for them for that trip to keep the rain out.

• Heart 1