Look Here, People

Thaddeus Kosciuszko

If your company takes electrical service at medium voltage with equipment like this:

Omni-Rupter® Switches

Then don't splatter my drawings with "NOTES TO THE ENGINEER" IN BIG RED CAPITAL LETTERS CITING NATIONAL ELECTRICAL CODE CHAPTER AND VERSE INFORMING ME THAT THE SECONDARY OF A 480 VOLT - 208Y/120 VOLT TRANSFORMER OFF IN THE CORNER OF SOME BUILDING IS A 'SERVICE'.  BECAUSE IT AIN'T, ALREADY.

Thank you for kind attention to this matter.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

If your company takes electrical service at medium voltage with equipment like this:

Omni-Rupter® Switches

Then don't splatter my drawings with "NOTES TO THE ENGINEER" IN BIG RED CAPITAL LETTERS CITING NATIONAL ELECTRICAL CODE CHAPTER AND VERSE INFORMING ME THAT THE SECONDARY OF A 480 VOLT - 208Y/120 VOLT TRANSFORMER OFF IN THE CORNER OF SOME BUILDING IS A 'SERVICE'.  BECAUSE IT AIN'T, ALREADY.

That looks like a 12 KV switch that has rotating blades.  If I recall, ours were more like knife blades.

That said... 

:scratchhead:  What do notes about a 480 to 120/208 volt transformer have to with 12 KV (or 4KV) distribution system equipment? 

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Triggered, eh.

That's not even the half of it.  You could divide 1 by Avogadro's Number and 'triggered' still would not come close to the ratio of how this foolishness perturbs me.  :flamethrower:

It takes every ounce of my professional patience to respond politely and respectfully to this stuff.

45 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

:scratchhead:  What do notes about a 480 to 120/208 volt transformer have to with 12 KV (or 4KV) distribution system equipment? 

As you correctly surmised - nothing.  A 'service' is where the customer and the utility connect.  That's it.  Nowhere else.  Certainly not on the secondary side of a transformer buried deep in the distribution system.

Telling me the design doesn't follow the Code because the conductors coming off the transformer aren't arranged like a utility service - and referencing non-relevant Code sections to prove your point - shows inexperience at best and ignorance at worst.

And it wastes time I don't have because if I don't reply, the comments stand and make it appear the comments are correct and the design is deficient.  Which it is not.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

13 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

NATIONAL ELECTRICAL CODE CHAPTER AND VERSE

At least they weren't quoting @bikeman564™ bit of national ASME code chapter and verse.

But which is worse - a massive explosion due to faulty wiring or a massive explosion due to a faulty pressure valve? :dontknow:

14 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Omni-Rupter® Switches

Your forgot to add blue safety string to your drawing.  Do I have to do everything around here?

image.png.108f677e5ad97485552a940250c101cf.png

2 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

Your forgot to add blue safety string to your drawing.  Do I have to do everything around here?

image.png.108f677e5ad97485552a940250c101cf.png

I see you upgraded from the legacy blue safety string to the newfangled blue safety hoops.  Just maybe the greatest thing since..................................... digital parody scoring.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I see you upgraded from the legacy blue safety string to the newfangled blue safety hoops.  Just maybe the greatest thing since..................................... digital parody scoring.

Yep, after ThatrudeGuy KondemedBikeGuy for his rather haphazard safety string usage on his CO2 valve drawing, I was not taking any chances.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

While I was in college I put myself through with a part time job acting in videos like this one.  I got a lot of work because the video company said I played the part of a test dummy pretty well.

Just sat through Arc Flash safety training refresher. The guy must have shown 20 video clips like that. I think he was trying to scare us safe.

3 hours ago, Further said:

Just sat through Arc Flash safety training refresher. The guy must have shown 20 video clips like that. I think he was trying to scare us safe.

I've seen 3 arc flash events, way too close, but far enough away to be here to post.    The videos don't come close to how scared you should be.  You do NOT want to EVER see this up close and personal.