NFL weirdness - offseason edition

Randomguy

Just now, Kzoo said:

Wake me up when we aren't talking about the Jags.

Ok, why did the Steelers offer Haskins $2.54m for the season?  They have a new presumptive starter and dent-head already.   Unless they want to dump dent-head, that guy is a load of manure, although Haskins hasn't showed much, either.

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, why did the Steelers offer Haskins $2.54m for the season?  They have a new presumptive starter and dent-head already.   Unless they want to dump dent-head, that guy is a load of manure, although Haskins hasn't showed much, either.

Good question.  That is not a bad number for a QB2 but high for a QB3.  Maybe Mason is gone.  Maybe they had seen something in Haskins.  I guessing there is big upside there if you can get him past is immaturity.  I suspect they dump Mason and draft a QB for the future.. :dontknow:

• Heart 1

Chargers made several moves to anchor their D with Mack, Sebastian Joseph Day & the CB who’s name escapes me.  Many believe they are winning free agency at this point.

My Rams locked up two back up O Lineman who did start at times and their starting center but lost one starting O lineman.  If Whitworth comes back it should be a formidable line. If not it will still be solid but lacking depth. 

• Heart 1

The weirdness continues.

As if the Baker Mayfield/Deshaun Watson thing wasn't weird enough, Davante Adams was traded to the Raiders for picks #22 and #53, which is an absolute steal to get the guy.  What is also an absolute steal for the player is that the Raiders then gave Devante Adams $28.25m/yr, which seems a crippling amount for a non-quarterback.  That is colossal money for just one guy.

That division was stacked before, then Wilson comes to the Donkeys in trade, and now Adams to the Raiders.  To top it off, the AFC is a far stronger division than the NFC, it isn't even close now.

26 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The weirdness continues.

As if the Baker Mayfield/Deshaun Watson thing wasn't weird enough, Davante Adams was traded to the Raiders for picks #22 and #53, which is an absolute steal to get the guy.  What is also an absolute steal for the player is that the Raiders then gave Devante Adams $28.25m/yr, which seems a crippling amount for a non-quarterback.  That is colossal money for just one guy.

That division was stacked before, then Wilson comes to the Donkeys in trade, and now Adams to the Raiders.  To top it off, the AFC is a far stronger division than the NFC, it isn't even close now.

While I don't disagree with you on the weirdness, your comment about the AFC being far stronger isn't supported by fact.  The SB Champions would disagree with you as do the Inter-conference records.  Of the top 10 teams with the best inter-conference records 5 are from the AFC and 5 are from the NFC.

Team Win-Loss Record Win % MOV ATS +/-
Tampa Bay 5-0-0 100.0% 9.4 +1.7
Kansas City 5-0-0 100.0% 9.8 +3.1
LA Rams 5-1-0 83.3% 6.8 -2.0
Tennessee 4-1-0 80.0% -1.0 +1.2
Arizona 4-1-0 80.0% 16.0 +11.0
Denver 4-1-0 80.0% 9.2 +7.3
Buffalo 4-1-0 80.0% 14.4 +6.6
Green Bay 4-1-0 80.0% 2.0 -1.7
LA Chargers 3-2-0 60.0% 2.6 0.0
Seattle 3-2-0 60.0% 10.0 +6.5

Hey @BuffJim how do you feel about the Bills signing Von Miller?  Six years seems like a long time but I’m guessing the deal is worked so they could waive him and not take too much of a cap hit. 

He was great for the Rams play off run but I didn’t think we could keep him long term.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

your comment about the AFC being far stronger isn't supported by fact. 

Things didn't work out at the Superbowl, but the Bengals were lucky enough to be in the game, they lingered long into it because the Rams were so sloppy in a lot of the game.  That said, The Bills and the Chiefs were the two strongest teams in the NFL last year (but you gotta win in the playoffs).  Will be the same this year, too, but other teams have already strengthened key areas.  

Rams are losing some folks, 49'ers are a bit overrated, Green Bay has no one to catch the ball, TB can't keep nearly everyone.  Seems the AFC teams are adding, and NFC teams are bleeding established players to them.

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Hey @BuffJim how do you feel about the Bills signing Von Miller?  Six years seems like a long time but I’m guessing the deal is worked so they could waive him and not take too much of a cap hit. 

He was great for the Rams play off run but I didn’t think we could keep him long term.

It’s really a 3 year deal. After 3 years we can walk away with little consequence. Hope it puts us over the top. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Rams are losing some folks, 49'ers are a bit overrated, Green Bay has no one to catch the ball, TB can't keep nearly everyone.  Seems the AFC teams are adding, and NFC teams are bleeding established players to them.

I’m curious to see how they address the O line.  They have depth but they did lose two starters.  Joseph Day and The CB Williams I don’t think will be missed as we are stacked with depth on defense line & backfield.  The RB we got from the Pats who’s name escapes me was an injury replacement. 

Looks like the Rams also signed a FA WR too. 

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Looks like the Rams also signed a FA WR too. 

Robinson is a solid pickup.  OBJ is too injury prone and is always likely to sulk at any given time, plus is pretty damaged from all the injuries.  Especially the twice torn ACL, not sure you heal up as well the second time, do you?

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Robinson is a solid pickup.  OBJ is too injury prone and is always likely to sulk at any given time, plus is pretty damaged from all the injuries.  Especially the twice torn ACL, not sure you heal up as well the second time, do you?

The local media is saying thenRams are trying to work something out with him.  We discussed this before but the Rams do seem to be a good home for disgruntled players.  

I think the Rams can make a deep playoff run with the players currently on the roster. They don’t have glaring needs but an injury or two can wreak havoc on certain position groups like O Line.  

• Heart 1

Ok, it gets weirder by the minute.  Watson to the Browns, folks talking done deal.  Three first round picks, plus two other picks.

Mixed feelings here, that is a lot to give up, in addition to paying him $46m/yr for 5 years.  Not sure what caused the about face from Watson away from Atlanta or New Orleans.

Bizarre.

31 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, it gets weirder by the minute.  Watson to the Browns, folks talking done deal.  Three first round picks, plus two other picks.

Mixed feelings here, that is a lot to give up, in addition to paying him $46m/yr for 5 years.  Not sure what caused the about face from Watson away from Atlanta or New Orleans.

Bizarre.

And he gets a new contract worth $184 million.  He's going to need it...

9 minutes ago, 12string said:

I just saw $230M, guaranteed.  For 3 #1s, and a couple more picks

The Browns are going to be a mess.

But at least he'll be able to pay off his 22 lawsuits.

My bad...  The piece I read actually said $184 over the first 4 years.  Reading comprehension issues here.

19 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I said Watson to the Browns last week and you gave me crap.

Watson himself said no to the Browns, but reversed course a couple of days later.  I will apologize that Watson can't make up his mind, but he should be doing that himself.  No way this happens unless the world goes off-center.  The world officially goes off-center.  I miss Baker already.

6 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

My bad...  The piece I read actually said $184 over the first 4 years.  Reading comprehension issues here.

That is a lot of money!  The world has gone crazy.

47 minutes ago, Dottles said:

You know, from what I read, he was asking for happy endings from every massage therapist that worked with him.  If he did worse, it'd be hard to get past that.  Still gonna be problems from that, no matter what.

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Watson himself said no to the Browns, but reversed course a couple of days later.  I will apologize that Watson can't make up his mind, but he should be doing that himself.  No way this happens unless the world goes off-center.  The world officially goes off-center.  I miss Baker already.

Apology accepted.

On 3/15/2022 at 10:58 AM, Randomguy said:

Some players may surprise by a change of location.  Haskins was stuck in awful Washington initially and the Steelers have had a year to judge his potential and they've shown they know what they're doing in general.  Trubisky is also a guy who played for an awful offense.  Maybe the Steelers think he's better than he's looked.

Over half a century ago, it cost the Baltimore Colts a 15 cent long-distance phone call to get the Steelers to send them one of their QB's who was so bad the fans called him Fumbleitis.  But under Coach Weeb Eubank, Johnny Unitas became one of the greatest QB's of all time.

• Heart 1

...forgive me, but I have to ask. Do people really watch professional football games any more ?  I need to know in case I'm ever invited back to my in-laws for Thanksgiving. I was hoping that the world had moved beyond that phase.

Maybe on to professional wrestling, which is completely real and on the level.  Unlike football.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...forgive me, but I have to ask. Do people really watch professional football games any more ?  I need to know in case I'm ever invited back to my in-laws for Thanksgiving. I was hoping that the world had moved beyond that phase.

Maybe on to professional wrestling, which is completely real and on the level.  Unlike football.

yes

Jonny Unitas was cut by the Steelers early on as a rookie in favor of a guy named Ted Marchibroda.  He was in camp but never made a roster.  Jonny was working construction and playing semi-pro football when the Colts gave him a tryout.

My HS football coach played HS football with Unitas.  My coach was the backup QB to Unitas and Unitas was his holder for extra points a field goals.  Ted Marchibroda is from Franklin, PA, not far from LongJohn's place.  A girl I dated from Rocky Grove (suburb of Franklin), her mother dated Ted in HS. 

Lots of great QBs from the Allegheny valley.  Unitas was one of the first.  Ted is about as far north as you could get in the valley. 

3 hours ago, Page Turner said:

... I was hoping that the world had moved beyond that phase.

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

yes

...thank you. Sometimes the real football fanboys ridicule me when I say that pro wrestling is more on the level. It's good to feel supported.