Easy night meals

Dirtyhip

Easy and delicious!

5 minutes ago, dinneR said:

Salmon. I make it twice a week. I can thaw a piece in a few minutes, cook it in under 10 minutes. Vegetables on the side. Dinner. 

Salmon, pesto, and vegetables

IMG_20211102_193126040.jpg

Looks good.  WE like to put avocado mousse on salmon.

• Heart 2

Soups are one of my quick & easy meals too but really all of my weekday meals are pre planned and take 20-30 minutes to prep and no more than an hour of cook time.  I save labor intensive meals for weekends or family events.  

I’ll also make crock pot meals for ride nights so I don’t have to mess with dinner.  

• Heart 1

I make extra meals and freeze them.  I made pesto on Sunday.  I had some leftover cilantro and I was happy to use every leaf.  @Airehead

Since I bought the chest freezer, it has transformed the way I cook prepare and preserve every last piece of fruit and veg.  Our lives are so busy that home cooked meals become difficult for a working family. I am away from the house over ten hours every weekday. WIth commuting something had to be easier for my workdays.  

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I make extra meals and freeze them.  I made pesto on Sunday.  I had some leftover cilantro and I was happy to use every leaf.  @Airehead

Since I bought the chest freezer, it has transformed the way I cook prepare and preserve every last piece of fruit and veg.  Our lives are so busy that home cooked meals become difficult for a working family. I am away from the house over ten hours every weekday. WIth commuting something had to be easier for my workdays.  

I generally buy to need and we have little food waste. 

I remember when I took a job closer to home after spending many years with a 3+ hours daily commute.  The first thing my kids said is, does that mean Dads gonna cook dinner again!?!?!  WOChrisL was all 😡.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I generally buy to need and we have little food waste. 

I remember when I took a job closer to home after spending many years with a 3+ hours daily commute.  The first thing my kids said is, does that mean Dads gonna cook dinner again!?!?!  WOChrisL was all 😡.

We buy a week at a time usually.  There is no time to go more often.  The store that is inexpensive is further away.  I do have a grocery that I ride past, but it is crazy expensive.  A half gallon of organic milk was listed for 9 bucks.  

My husband usually shops.  I write down things I need.  Seomtimes he buys different things and it is like a food challenge for me.  Like, what do I make with this?  :D

• Heart 3

4 minutes ago, Further said:

My go to quick & easy is burgers. My wife is a picky eater and burgers are one thing she will eat.

Like @Further, my wife is a picky eater. No lemon, tomatoes don’t like her, basil (ie pesto) is out. Tonight I made taco salad with a refried bean dip I make from a can of chili beans, chopped tomatoes and green chilies, and shredded cheese. Healthier than refried beans and tasty too. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

What do you make when you want things fast and healthy?

Last night I did a soup.  Homemade beef broth with a couple of those ramen cakes by Lotus foods.  I just cooked some veggies in it and sauteed a little bit of ground italian sausage and cooked some mushrooms in the same pan.  Dumped it all together and it is quite healthy and delicious.  Likely less healthy with the sausage, but I used very little of it.  The broth turns kind of dark with the black rice noodles.  My spouse was lamenting how lucky he is to come home to home cooked food every night.  His travelking co-workers eat mothly fast food.  They must feel terrible.  When I eat that, I have felt terrible immediately after.

When I make soups and stews, I usually make 6 big bowlfuls and freeze at least two for nights when I want things fast.

I fill a semi-disposable, retangular 30.5 oz. plastic container up to where I can just barely get the lid on - it's actually more like 24 fl. oz.  The block of ice that forms solidly in two days pops out and then just fits into a 1 qt. Ziploc freezer bag.

I usually rotate among chicken soup; ham, bean, and veggies soup; Martha Stewart's savory Fall stew (butternut squash, brussels sprouts, fennel, plus the usual veggies and Italian sausage) and Mulligan Stew (beef plus whatever veggies you have on hand).  Nuking them at the defrost setting for about 15 minutes then heating them at "7" instead of 10 keeps the veggies from getting mushy.

When I run out of the frozen bag of one of them, I know it's time to make another batch.

Not so much for supper, but when WoW and I are both WFH, she will request a salad I make of spring greens, dried cranberries, goat cheese, pistachios and raspberry vinaigrette. 
Maybe not as healthy, but sometimes we just put a little bacon in the air fryer and scramble some eggs and toast. I like habanero salsa on my eggs. The bacon and jam on the toast balance the heat. Quick, easy and tasty!

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, dinneR said:

Salmon. I make it twice a week. I can thaw a piece in a few minutes, cook it in under 10 minutes. Vegetables on the side. Dinner. 

Salmon, pesto, and vegetables

IMG_20211102_193126040.jpg

salmon is a great option. we were talking the other day that we need to ramp it up again.  been having more of other types the past couple years, but salmon is just great overall.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Seriously, I once took a bite out of an ice cream cone, looked down at it, and saw half a moth still in the ice cream. 

Riddled with typos and I think I used a word incorrectly.  Lamenting?  Nope.  He was commenting positively. 

• Thank You 1

22 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

salmon is a great option. we were talking the other day that we need to ramp it up again.  been having more of other types the past couple years, but salmon is just great overall.

https://prideofbristolbay.com/

This stuff is delicious. Wild caught in AK. I use the buying club so it's reasonably priced. 

• Thank You 1