Entenmann's baked goods were the Little Debbie Snack Cakes for kids like me...

Page Turner

...who grew up going the the Jewish cousins in Flushing to visit, and eventually having the stuff show up in D.C., as the empire expanded. I have eaten that stuff, and more than once.  I am ashamed, now that I am an organic whole wheat hippie. But I do recall that, at the time, it tasted pretty good to me. :)

The occasion for this reminiscence is this obituary of Charles Entenmann, in the NY Times.

"The Entenmann’s on the fridge was more than a signal of solvent family finances (Yes, Dolores, we can afford the Banana Crunch Cake). It was a blue-and-white invitation to communion, its contents suitable for weddings and wakes and Communion parties and late-morning gossip sessions with cups of percolated coffee and a Marlboro Light.

As I look back, Entenmann’s seems more present in my memory than in reality. In my mind’s eye, there would be a Raspberry Danish Twist on Sunday mornings; a slice of Chocolate Chip Crumb Loaf, wrapped in paper towel, for school lunch; a hunk of Blackout Cake for dessert; and a rush to Good Samaritan Hospital before bed. (Not really.)"

I don’t think I have ever eaten anything from them. Just didn’t grow up with it and I don’t crave sweet bready stuff.  

If I’m going to eat something like that it was usually freshly baked.  My wife’s Grandmother made some amazing baked goods but that was 1-2 times a year and she’s been gone at least 10 years now…

20 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I loved that stuff back when I could eat it.

...you will probably like this quote from the original article. I know I did.

"It was said that Mr. Entenmann, who died last month at age 92 in Florida — far from the South Shore of Long Island, where he helped his family’s business rise like a baking Bundt cake to become a national brand — did not eat Entenmann’s products.

“He just wasn’t a dessert guy,” one of his children explained, no doubt causing Entenmann’s aficionados everywhere to choke on their second secret slice of a Cheese Danish Twist.

As someone who grew up near the old Entenmann’s factory in Bay Shore, my first reaction to this revelation is: No wonder he lived to 92."

I love the Entenmann's cookies that are half fudge-icing and half cookie.  Unfortunately, I don't buy them anymore due to diabetes.

But, every once in a while, I'll buy the 8-pack of Rich Frosted Chocolate Covered Donuts.  With the chocolate coating, they can last a couple weeks without getting stale.

My family was an Entenmann's family.  I'd suggest you not get between any member of my family and a chocolate Entenmann's donut.   And when I'm sick, their crumb cake is like medicine from heaven.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1