After 65 days without measurable rainfall in the wet season, we finally got some.

Page Turner

56 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...about a tenth of an inch here. Beats nothing, and it will be more up in the foothills and the mountains.

DSCF6955.JPG

DSCF6959.JPG

DSCF6962.JPG

DSCF6963.JPG

That one missed us.  We got some rain a couple of weeks back but not much.  

Any idea how the Sierra snow pack looking?  

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

That one missed us.  We got some rain a couple of weeks back but not much.  

Any idea how the Sierra snow pack looking?  

Anything up there is gonna be disappointing. There have been a couple of fronts that slipped down from the NW and dropped some snow, where we got no rain. But my in-laws, who have a house up there and buy season lifts at Northstar every year, came back down to stay in Marin  a couple of months early. I guess they might go back up soon, on the chance they can put their boat in the water early.

I forget when they do the official snowpack measurement, but I think it's soon.

Sierra Snowpack ‘Well Below Average’ in Third Official Survey, Signaling Continued Drought

Regionally, the Northern, Central, and Southern Sierra snowpacks are all standing just above 59% to 66% of average for this date, impacting watersheds across the state.

“Without any significant storms on the horizon, it’s safe to say we’ll end this year dry and extend this drought a third year,” said Sean de Guzman, manager of DWR’s Snow Surveys and Water Supply Forecasting Unit.

• Thank You 1

18 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

Anything up there is gonna be disappointing. There have been a couple of fronts that slipped down from the NW and dropped some snow, where we got no rain. But my in-laws, who have a house up there and buy season lifts at Northstar every year, came back down to stay in Marin  a couple of months early. I guess they might go back up soon, on the chance they can put their boat in the water early.

I forget when they do the official snowpack measurement, but I think it's soon.

Sierra Snowpack ‘Well Below Average’ in Third Official Survey, Signaling Continued Drought

Thanks, yeah the weather heads were predicting a dry winter & looks like they were right.  

...we had a very wet end of November 2021 and December 2021. Then, everything just stopped in the beginning of January. Like I said, 65 days with no measurable precip here. That's a long time in your normal rainfall season, with nothing but sunny weather. Three years in a row is how many we've had with annual rainfall well below average.  It's now mid March, and the rainy season is close to the end here..

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

I thought the Sierra’s got drilled this last fall? By like late October they were at 80% snow pack. Or was that last year? And what is page talking about 3 years in a row. Does. Not. Add. Up. 

Like us, we got hammered and then it just stopped.  We are well below normal.  About half.  This is going on a 3 year dry spell and it is scary.

Dotts, check out the reservoir levels.  We need precipitation.

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...we had a very wet end of November 2021 and December 2021. Then, everything just stopped in the beginning of January. Like I said, 65 days with no measurable precip here. That's a long time in your normal rainfall season, with nothing but sunny weather. Three years in a row is how many we've had with annual rainfall well below average.  It's now mid March, and the rainy season is close to the end here..

That’s not unusual for us but we take your water… If NorCal isn’t getting rain/snow then yeah SoCal is scrood. 

For the first time in its history, California’s State Water Project is forecasting that it will deliver no agricultural water to its 29 contracting agencies in 2022.

Blaming a severe drought that has entered its third year, state officials announced Dec. 1 they were putting irrigation water fourth in line behind water for minimum urban health and safety needs and salinity control in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta, water for endangered species and water for reserve in storage.

State Department of Water Resources Director Karla Nemeth said the state will keep a temporary rock wall in the Delta to impede saltwater intrusion from the San Francisco Bay while possibly sending some water from Lake Oroville to the San Luis Reservoir if hydrology improves.

WFP-DWR-drought-measures-070321-1.jpg

https://www.farmprogress.com/water/no-state-water-california-farms