Better get used to Daylight Savings

12string

The Senate just passed a bill to make it permanent.  Still has to get through the house,

Stupid.

Just stupid.  

For some ridiculous reason, it's become popular to complain about Daylight Savings Time.  Without taking a nanosecond to think about what it actually achieves.  So, our politicians just had to prove how much they care about us.

Takes effect 2023.  By December 2023. we'll all be complaining about how awful it is that mornings are so dark.  And what good does it do that it's still light at 6PN, it's also cold and wet and everyone is onside with the lights on anyway

• Heart 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, 12string said:

Stupid.

Just stupid.  

What is stupid - getting rid of DST or that we are gonna be stuck with the "spring forward" and you prefer the "fall back" time?  It seems reasonable to look at the places that don't do DST and wonder if they are suffering negative impacts or not. If not, what's the point of DST in 2022 and a 24/7/365 era of continual awareness of time? 

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

What is stupid - getting rid of DST or that we are gonna be stuck with the "spring forward" and you prefer the "fall back" time?  It seems reasonable to look at the places that don't do DST and wonder if they are suffering negative impacts or not. If not, what's the point of DST in 2022 and a 24/7/365 era of continual awareness of time? 

I see a huge downside to this.  All those devices and appliances that automatically switch between stores  ST and DST are going to need to be manually adjusted.  2 steps forward... 2 steps back.

• Haha 1

I live in eastern time, but I'm just a few miles from the central time zone line. That puts me way west in the eastern time zone. I get it, New York gets dark very early at night. But our summer nights don't get dark til after 10:30. Would rather have early sun for pre-work bike rides.

Standard Time FTW.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

This is good, it is stupid to change clocks, pretty much near the dumbest thing ever.  More daylight in evening is better than in the morning, way better.  

That's just one man's opinion 

I'm a morning person and rather have it light in the morning 

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

There has been a move for a while for several of the New England States to change themselves into the next time zone to the east. This is essentially the same thing.

That would put them in line with Atlantic Canada which is already an hour ahead. Newfoundland is 1/2 a time zone ahead of that.

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I would rather have light coupled with the continued heat of the day, rather than bright and freezing.

You too could move N/S/E/W to fine tune your sunlight hours.

The beauty of killing the TIME CHANGE is that it doesn't force everyone to dance around a stupid idea.  Especially the retired or WFH folks, what is the value of changing my clock on an arbitrary day?

• Heart 2

I guess we're doomed to repeat history?

Remember 1973?

We're gonna save energy, we're gonna get rid of the psychological impact, we're gonna go full time DST!  It had huge support, people were SO happy to not have to set their clocks twice a year (and back then it was all manual)

Turns out it didn't save energy, the psychological impacted lasted months instead of days, within two years we went back to changing clocks - with huge support, people were SO happy to have standard time for the winter months.

People realized sunrises at 9AM were a real PITA and no one used that extra hour in the evening during winter anyway

And stop with that Indian blanket meme, it's like comparing hours to blankets.  But perfectly sums up the debate - no one really knows WHY they hate DST, they just do.  And Nickleback sucks, too, because somebody said they're like a blanket.

• Heart 2

I am a morning person, and the daylight in the evening makes my commute much safer.  Yes, it will be dark in the am.  There is far less traffic in the morning.  In regards to energy, I don't see how it will make us use much more than we already do.  If it is dark, you turn the lights on.  Morning or night, you still need light when it is dark.  Time will tell how everyone feels about it.  

26 minutes ago, 12string said:

Turns out it didn't save energy,

Everybody knew that was going to happen, though.  I don't remember the rest of your ramblings as being factual at all, maybe a tiny sliver of a minority of people prefer the other way, but the vastness of support for this is apparent. nobody likes resetting clocks.

The morning folks can kindly bite my shiny metal ass, just wake up a little later.   You are going to be dicking around showering, pooping, making and eating breakfast anyway, so what have you really lost?  I want the warmer afternoon sun!

• Whatever 1

Just now, Randomguy said:

Everybody knew that was going to happen, though.  I don't remember the rest of your ramblings as being factual at all, maybe a tiny sliver of a minority of people prefer the other way, but the vastness of support for this is apparent. nody likes resetting clocks.

The morning folks can kindly bite my shiny metal ass, just wake up a little later.  I want the warmer afternoon sun!

Polls showed 71% support for permanent DST in 1973, down to 40% less than a year later, over 70% support for going back to dual times by the time they changed back.  Of course, that was back before people had the internet to tell them what to groupthink.  

22 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I am a morning person, and the daylight in the evening makes my commute much safer.  Yes, it will be dark in the am.  There is far less traffic in the morning.  In regards to energy, I don't see how it will make us use much more than we already do.  If it is dark, you turn the lights on.  Morning or night, you still need light when it is dark.  Time will tell how everyone feels about it.  

Interesting, I find the opposite problem.  People seem more distracted and hurried in the mornings, adding dark to that gets to be a rea problem.  I stopped riding mornings if I need to go when it's still dark.  Evening commutes in the dark have been much easier for me.  Of course, this is the uptight East Coast.

40 minutes ago, 12string said:

I guess we're doomed to repeat history?

Remember 1973?

We're gonna save energy, we're gonna get rid of the psychological impact, we're gonna go full time DST!  It had huge support, people were SO happy to not have to set their clocks twice a year (and back then it was all manual)

Turns out it didn't save energy, the psychological impacted lasted months instead of days, within two years we went back to changing clocks - with huge support, people were SO happy to have standard time for the winter months.

People realized sunrises at 9AM were a real PITA and no one used that extra hour in the evening during winter anyway

And stop with that Indian blanket meme, it's like comparing hours to blankets.  But perfectly sums up the debate - no one really knows WHY they hate DST, they just do.  And Nickleback sucks, too, because somebody said they're like a blanket.

I blame Carter.

41 minutes ago, 12string said:

Interesting, I find the opposite problem.  People seem more distracted and hurried in the mornings, adding dark to that gets to be a rea problem.  I stopped riding mornings if I need to go when it's still dark.  Evening commutes in the dark have been much easier for me.  Of course, this is the uptight East Coast.

Is it a "north vs south" thing?  If AZ doesn't do it, what have been the pros/cons?  Maybe it should be stuck on the "fall back", not the "spring forward"?

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, 12string said:

Polls showed 71% support for permanent DST in 1973, down to 40% less than a year later, over 70% support for going back to dual times by the time they changed back.  Of course, that was back before people had the internet to tell them what to groupthink.  

You simply cannot blame the internet or groupthink, this isn't a bunch of doofus butts all deciding that they didn't like the word "moist" (which is a fantastic word with nothing wrong about it).  The crappiness in the system of morning sun and freezing temperatures and afternoon darkness is so obviously apparent that it should be changed.  

I think your polls are made up, too.

1 hour ago, 12string said:

They are always distracted and hurried.  Life is so busy.  Personally, I feel that many people are overcommitted.  

• Heart 1

33 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

You simply cannot blame the internet or groupthink, this isn't a bunch of doofus butts all deciding that they didn't like the word "moist" (which is a fantastic word with nothing wrong about it).  The crappiness in the system of morning sun and freezing temperatures and afternoon darkness is so obviously apparent that it should be changed.  

I think your polls are made up, too.

oh yeah?  82% of people think my polls are true!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1