What the hale?

Parr8hed

52 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

It's amazing that a friendly thread can devolve into crap.

I wonder sometimes if it would be better for a moderator to delete the offending posts within a thread and leave the majority of the unoffending thread intact.

It seems to me that deleting or locking an entire thread is punishing everyone for the actions of a few.  

• Heart 2

31 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I wonder sometimes if it would be better for a moderator to delete the offending posts within a thread and leave the majority of the unoffending thread intact.

It seems to me that deleting or locking an entire thread is punishing everyone for the actions of a few.  

Cheese’s barrister recommended this method. :D

• Heart 2

48 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Yes, but a hidden post should necessitate an explanation (valid and plausible and pointing out what exact guideline was the problem).  Censoring while not violating guidelines is the worst and will make anybody angsty.

I was not involved either, what happened?

4 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Cheese’s barrister recommended this method. :D

I think about the member who may have made an unoffending, heartfelt post about something that is very near and dear to them, something that they really wanted to share with our group.  But then someone else comes along later in the thread and diverts or poisons the original intent of the thread, causing the entire thread to be deleted, including all the good posts from people who may have urgently wanted to share their thoughts on the original subject.  We shouldn't throw out the baby because of a little bad bathwater.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Censoring while not violating guidelines is the worst and will make anybody angsty.

Hiding or deleting the entire thread is also censoring, but it is on a massive scale.  It censors everyone in the thread, not just the a-hole who caused the problem. 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Meh, I let the mods do what they think is best.  

Thank you.  If you get a thread shut down you know why you crossed the line (otherwise you are a dolt and we really only have one of them here).  I do what I do for the reasons I do them and it looks like the other mods do the same.  

And I don't think I remember SW covering this during the OSWMTC (Official Square Wheels Moderator Training Curriculum), but that might have been the part where I was sleeping. 

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Awesome 1