Wipe Out - Pt II

Razors Edge

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

You OK?

The bike OK?

You know it was your fault.

I'm okay - but covered in road rash.  All four limbs, torso, shoulder, hands, chin, and waist.  But not too deep. Rode home the 15 miles dripping blood as it slowly congealed. Ruined a pair of gloves, a nice jersey, and one sock.  And broke my handlebars at the brifter.  

Gonna swing by the shop later to have them replace the bars and look the bike over for other issues.

Thanks for asking, and yes, it was my fault.  Wasn't paying attention - looking at the mirror to see if someone coming the other way instead of at the gravel on the trail.  Ridden that bit close to 500 times (or more).

IMG_1853.thumb.jpeg.28f9fc259e138baa60a15707abf0867f.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

16 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Ouch, sorry about all the skin damage, that's a drag.  The bike can be fixed.  I'm realizing now my bike has a lot of proprietary parts.  I am out of luck if I break something.

Yeah - a relatively mild crash rapidly turns expensive :(  The bike is at the shop, but so far, I only KNOW that I am getting new handle bars and tape, but a full inspection is going to be done.  Likewise, replacing the gloves, jersey, and sock ends up being a few $$$ too.  So, if the bike is fine, I'm still many 100s in the hole from a stupid mistake :(  On the plus side, I had intentions of new bars and tape for the Tarmac already, so this is not all money thrown away (but I lose the old bars for my parts bin).

This LBS is the top US Wilier (see my other Wilier posts) and some of those are pretty sweet :) so dangerous having me in that shop :whistle:  I was looking at a Spec Aethos as a nice option over the past couple months, but wasn't ready to pull a trigger.  

13 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Dayum sorry man.  I was wondering what took you down but yeah gravel on asphalt is a bitch.  My buddy had a slow speed fall on gravel.  

Heal up quickly!  

Yeah, I was lucky as this was a relatively low speed crash (so no bone breakage), but damn that gravel just chewed me to pieces.  UNPLEASANT.

"In cinema, slow motion is used to assert the poetry of movement, to make violence and destruction feel epic, and to imply shifts in consciousness—and often more than one of these at once."

I hate road rash. It's going to seep for weeks and will soak into all your clothes and into your sheets. Then you go out in the sun and it hurts like crazy.  I saw the gravel coming. At first I was worried about ice.

• Hugs 1

7 minutes ago, donkpow said:

"In cinema, slow motion is used to assert the poetry of movement, to make violence and destruction feel epic, and to imply shifts in consciousness—and often more than one of these at once."

I hate road rash. It's going to seep for weeks and will soak into all your clothes and into your sheets. Then you go out in the sun and it hurts like crazy.  I saw the gravel coming. At first I was worried about ice.

I hate it as well.  It is mostly scabbed over, with some oozing - especially the elbow - but damned if every joint flex doesn't burn just a bit.  Really my left elbow and right thumb are the worst still, but with a dozen or more scrapes and cuts, I'm covered all over in scabs/tender flesh. :(  The worst was when bandages would stick to the healing scabs and then be ripped off.  OUCH. Now I am just going bandage free with lots of cream on exposed stuff.  And ridden a couple times, so not completely shot.  Luckily the Tarmac is Di2, so it shifts with ease, but the Diverge is mechanical and right shifts - with the bad thumb - are less than pleasant still.  With a vacation on the horizon, it's gonna be annoying if I am not close to 100%. Applying sunscreen or swimming in salt water may hurt a bit :whistle:

Everyone - including myself - find it odd I didn't curse or yell or make some other outburst as I crashed. :dontknow:

I'd figure you'd cry like a baby. I took a deep bruise on my ankle joint in a crash. At first, it didn't effect me at all and ultimately didn't cause any pain or movement difficulties. The weird part was it started out really minor looking. Then it showed itself as a serious soft tissue injury. It took months for it to heal.

I'll tell you quite frankly, I can be quite happy without another crash, however minor.  Sorry. :dontknow:

• Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I'd figure you'd cry like a baby. I took a deep bruise on my ankle joint in a crash. At first, it didn't effect me at all and ultimately didn't cause any pain or movement difficulties. The weird part was it started out really minor looking. Then it showed itself as a serious soft tissue injury. It took months for it to heal.

I'll tell you quite frankly, I can be quite happy without another crash, however minor.  Sorry. :dontknow:

Ouch - those seemingly "mild" injuries can sneak up on you. :(

My wife gave me grief because I am banged up all over, but no bruising. She gets mildly bumped, and bruises.  I crash, and get nothing. 

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

Well, I hope so. :)

On the "funny" but still "painful" (to my ego) side of things, the gruff mechanic at the LBS looked me in the eye and said, "you know why the handlebars broke?" and I, thinking I did, answered, "because I crashed."  He was like, yeah but no.  They broke because there was so much salt under the tape, it had corroded the hell out of the lower half of the bars where my dirty sweaty hand left tons of salty residue.  I was scolded and instructed to change my bar tape regularly.  Considering the bike turns 6 yrs old tomorrow, and that was the original tape :o I think he was correct :D

:frantics:

31 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

On the "funny" but still "painful" (to my ego) side of things, the gruff mechanic at the LBS looked me in the eye and said, "you know why the handlebars broke?" and I, thinking I did, answered, "because I crashed."  He was like, yeah but no.  They broke because there was so much salt under the tape, it had corroded the hell out of the lower half of the bars where my dirty sweaty hand left tons of salty residue.  I was scolded and instructed to change my bar tape regularly.  Considering the bike turns 6 yrs old tomorrow, and that was the original tape :o I think he was correct :D

:frantics:

Gack! That's disgusting. Surprised he will even work on it. Have you no self respect, man?!

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Gack! That's disgusting. Surprised he will even work on it. Have you no self respect, man?!

Oddly, he didn't complain about the blood splatters. :dontknow:  I reinstalled the bell and computer mount and they were a bit sticky still :whistle:

• Heart 1

40 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

This would not have happened if you had varbon bars.

True and false - true they wouldn't corrode as fast, but false in that they would have broken and/or I would have replaced them "just to be safe".  It remains the #1 reason I keep opting for aluminum bars - cheap to replace and pretty much the same weight as CF.  I REALLY don't want one of the integrated bars/stem things like the Barmac. Great reviews back in the day, but double the replacement headache (and 10x the cost):

1314179123210-y3s3je07cyr5-31c15e4.jpg?w

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

True and false - true they wouldn't corrode as fast, but false in that they would have broken and/or I would have replaced them "just to be safe".  It remains the #1 reason I keep opting for aluminum bars - cheap to replace and pretty much the same weight as CF.  I REALLY don't want one of the integrated bars/stem things like the Barmac. Great reviews back in the day, but double the replacement headache (and 10x the cost):

1314179123210-y3s3je07cyr5-31c15e4.jpg?w

I was talking about varbon bars.

13 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I have been lucky and in my 10+ years of riding (not as many miles as you) have not needed to replace a major part.

I fear breaking these, I suspect I will be down a bike for weeks.

Luckily, too, for me, not a lot of replacement of parts.  I am on a second bottom bracket, and now these handle bars, but other than that, it's all "wear" parts like chains, tires, and bar tape :whistle:   Still on the original brake pads but if the front wheel is fully replaced by Zipp and not just the hub, I will need new brake pads.  One of my bottle holders broke a couple weeks ago so had to replace that too. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2022 at 3:02 AM, Philander Seabury said:

Ouch!  I am old so probably would have broken some bones. 

I'm STILL healing up.  Scabs on the ankle, elbow and thumb take a LONG time due to constant flexing :(  It is less than fun.  The equally bad road rash on non-flexy areas is long since healed. I still can't fully bend my right thumb, since the scab is there. 

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2022 at 5:00 PM, MoseySusan said:

Have you fixed your bike?

Took it in the next day, they fixed it over the weekend, and had it back just before vacation.  New tape, new bars, and the took my front wheel for a few weeks for a warranty recall on the hub.  Got that back after vacation. Bike is back in action.

image.png

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1