Atlanta Motor Speedway resurface

bikeman564™

I've seen them work on33 deg.  It's impressive.  I believe that they have a special company that does all their tracks.  Riding on that banking is impressive as well.  At Daytona I got a flashback to an artists depiction of Ringworld (from the science fiction series) as the back straight sort of rolls up and to the left as if you were going to do a loop.  Once in the corner though at speed you don't feel any different, just heavy.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Once in the corner though at speed you feel any different, just heavy.

When we were getting ready to head out onto the Daytona race track for the first time Wo46 as me what position does she need to be in on the banking. I told her that I had no idea because we were the first sidecar race to ever at the Daytona speedway. 

It took me a few laps to figure out how to look through the corner and where my neck wouldn't hurt when we came out of the corner. Being in the tuck position trying to look up was hard on the neck and looking straight ahead you can only see a feet ahead because of the banking. 

• Heart 3

20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Is it normal asphalt?  I know asphalt eventually migrates on steep slopes, so not sure how often that needs to re-smoothed? 

Atlanta in the summer... it doesn't 'migrate' it runs.

This might be fake news.

• Heart 2

They were planning on resurfacing Road America last fall but now it's being put off until this year. 

When they resurface it they have 3 pavers show up and run 2 side by side so there's no seams. The 3rd one is there just incase one brakes down. 

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Is it normal asphalt?  I know asphalt eventually migrates on steep slopes, so not sure how often that needs to re-smoothed? 

I know that I don't like racing on new surfaces. If they don't get the asphalt mix right the surface is slick and on a motorcycle it's not fun.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, BR46 said:

They were planning on resurfacing Road America last fall but now it's being put off until this year. 

When they resurface it they have 3 pavers show up and run 2 side by side so there's no seams. The 3rd one is there just incase one brakes down. 

I know that I don't like racing on new surfaces. If they don't get the asphalt mix right the surface is slick and on a motorcycle it's not fun.

LIke all such surfaces, it contains some oils that migrate to the surface and eventually evaporate.  Many tracks use a fleet of trucks dragging dozens of old used up tires to get a rubber layer imbedded in the surface.  Race tires like that better.  Even our RC dragstrip at RC Madness in CT got better as last year wore on.  In the early spring is was quite slick.

• Heart 1