First time in office in 2 years

ChrisL

WOChrisL had her first in office day in nearly 2 years.  She started with this firm in Sept 20 but the company was due to move into their current building in April 2020 so it has never been occupied!?!!  

Her Dept had a meeting and then were shown their work area.  Their company badges were updated  so they could access the new building and were told they are welcome to use the office space at anytime going forward now. 

She is not required to go in office (yet) but it seems they will be at some point.  Her office is about 5 miles from my current office and less than a mile to where my group may move to. That would be handy for carpooling but she works different hours.

My company is about 40% occupied and are bringing a bunch more people back in April. We’ll be pretty much fully back by May barring another covid surge. 

• Heart 3

Just now, ChrisL said:

WOChrisL had her first in office day in nearly 2 years.  She started with this firm in Sept 20 but the company was due to move into their current building in April 2020 so it has never been occupied!?!!  

Her Dept had a meeting and then were shown their work area.  Their company badges were updated  so they could access the new building and were told they are welcome to use the office space at anytime going forward now. 

She is not required to go in office (yet) but it seems they will be at some point.  Her office is about 5 miles from my current office and less than a mile to where my group may move to. That would be handy for carpooling but she works different hours.

My company is about 40% occupied and are bringing a bunch more people back in April. We’ll be pretty much fully back by May barring another covid surge. 

Yep- It is gonna be weird going back - whether once a week or the old 3 days a week.

Regardless, it will be to a new location - HQ or a new leased place.

24 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Buy a Honda and park it at your place so when you carpool she can drive it to her place?  Think of the gas savings!!!!

• Haha 3

My company is scratching heads deciding if we even need an office and if so, what.  A lot of our work was already performed remotely before Covid.  It seems that our remote application developers do a lot of their work for local clients and our local developers do a lot of their work for clients scattered across the country - just currently works out that way.  They didn't need to be nor want to be in our office to do their work.  We offer a pretty flexible environment and demanding office presence can nullify that.

We will probably figure this our in the next few months.

• Heart 2

19 minutes ago, Airehead said:

This is a little surreal to me. We have been in the offices full time since April 1 2021. 

Yeah I never left but worked in an empty building for 2 years.  I still find it odd to walk into the mens room and find someone in there… It was me/my team & facilities for a looong time. 

Tomorrow is the 2 year anniversary of our mass exodus.

42 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What does Rudy think? He should be the tie-breaker.

As long as I have some treats in the office he's all for the commute.

He's still working on some that the Sunshine Committee sent him.  He'll probably be in tomorrow.

• Awesome 1

I'm remote full time.  But our company has yet to require return to office.  In the meantime, we continue record windfall profits quarter after quarter.  I doubt there's going to be very much pressure or pushback to have folks return back.  Honestly, I save 3 hours of commute time daily -- and of that -- I probably put 2 back into the company.  It's a win-win-win.  Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

We had a big RTO 3 weeks ago. Mondays and Thursdays are mandatory company-wide. The company has more than doubled the number of home office employees in that time. Many had never seen the office before Feb 28. 
The company was not totally prepared for the increased load on the network. Lots of new infrastructure is on order!  

Some  people  in our group have dropped by office to work longer there. Some people you can really see  them keen to meet/chat with in-person folks. They kind of quiver with some excitement. I'm serious...

I'm not really like that. For sure, I enjoy chatting with folks who I saw when I dropped by office every few months for  past 2 yrs. But I wasn't "missing" folks in that  type of way and it's not because I'm anti-social at work. I can work long hrs. independently BUT as long as I get to chat  during day, with colleagues and clients virtually, that type of communication "replacement" has been fine for me during these last 2 years.   I' ve been very lucky since I trust my team members  95% time which is pretty high.