Taar thought

bikeman564™

For years, decades, I've ridden 25's on my road bike. I'd like to try 28s, to see if the ride feel changes. Anywho, I'm wondering if they will fit on my CAAD 10 :scratchhead:. Seems/looks like they should, but I was thinking of contacting Cannondale. It's a 2012 model, so that was still in the era of road bikes not accepting really wide taars.

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

My new bike has 28's.  Huge difference.  I think I can go to 32.  I might try 30 at some point.

I was thinking it would. I called Cannondale, and they said 28s are the widest I can go. Next time I buy tires, I'll get those.

2 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I was thinking it would. I called Cannondale, and they said 28s are the widest I can go. Next time I buy tires, I'll get those.

I believe rim diameter also impacts how the tire bulges or doesnt. So I  believe tire/rim combo and frame width will all come to play.  I think C’dale will respond, it depends…

I rode 32’s & now 36’s at low pressure 40’s on mixed surfaces and the ride is plush.  I’m not hammering so maybe I’m going slower on the road but it doesn’t feel so. I ride tires with a file tread & not knobbies for better mixed use.  

9 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I believe rim diameter also impacts how the tire bulges or doesnt. So I  believe tire/rim combo and frame width will all come to play.  I think C’dale will respond, it depends…

I rode 32’s & now 36’s at low pressure 40’s on mixed surfaces and the ride is plush.  I’m not hammering so maybe I’m going slower on the road but it doesn’t feel so. I ride tires with a file tread & not knobbies for better mixed use.  

the bike will only accept 700C wheels.

• Heart 1

21 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

Anywho, I'm wondering if they will fit on my CAAD 10 :scratchhead:. Seems/looks like they should, but I was thinking of contacting Cannondale. It's a 2012 model, so that was still in the era of road bikes not accepting really wide taars.

My Tarmac is a no-go with 28s.  My Roubaix could accept some 28s, but clearance was close.  I think rim brakes are a weakness for "classic" road bikes - as the space through the brake, and the space behind the bottom bracket are the two big limiters.  With the swap to disc brakes, road bikes are now really only limited at the space behind the BB.  

I'm sure you could drop by a shop and see if they had a 28 rim brake wheel/tire already mounted you could test fit.  But for me, it's a no go.  I actually had a low tire a few months back, grabbed a spare wheel to use, but then noticed it still had a 28 on it from the Roubaix days. :angry:  I still need to go swap that spare :scratchhead:

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

My Tarmac is a no-go with 28s.  My Roubaix could accept some 28s, but clearance was close.  I think rim brakes are a weakness for "classic" road bikes - as the space through the brake, and the space behind the bottom bracket are the two big limiters.  With the swap to disc brakes, road bikes are now really only limited at the space behind the BB.  

I'm sure you could drop by a shop and see if they had a 28 rim brake wheel/tire already mounted you could test fit.  But for me, it's a no go.  I actually had a low tire a few months back, grabbed a spare wheel to use, but then noticed it still had a 28 on it from the Roubaix days. :angry:  I still need to go swap that spare :scratchhead:

The brake is a good point. Even if I open the caliper, 25s will not just slide out (if inflated), it takes a good wack. I was looking at the frame to see if there is space, and there seems to be BB space. As aforementioned, 28s will fit per Cannondale.

I have friend w/ a Giant Propel, which is an aero frame from several years ago. IIRC 25 is the maximum size because there is virtually no room between the tire and seat post, which wraps around the tire.

1 minute ago, bikeman564™ said:

The brake is a good point. Even if I open the caliper, 25s will not just slide out (if inflated), it takes a good wack. I was looking at the frame to see if there is space, and there seems to be BB space. As aforementioned, 28s will fit per Cannondale.

I have friend w/ a Giant Propel, which is an aero frame from several years ago. IIRC 25 is the maximum size because there is virtually no room between the tire and seat post, which wraps around the tire.

Yep - with the 28s on the Roubaix, but also my fat tires on my non-disc old MTB, I had to install "flat" and pump after in position on the bike.  A pain by okay if you know that's the process and don't blow through your only CO2 with the wheel off the bike :)

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

the bike will only accept 700C wheels.

I worded that wrong and was really talking about rim width.  Rim width will affect tire width was what I meant.  

If you have a friend with a 28mm tire maybe give it a try.  I think that’s the only way to know for sure without buying tires. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I worded that wrong and was really talking about rim width.  Rim width will affect tire width was what I meant.  

If you have a friend with a 28mm tire maybe give it a try.  I think that’s the only way to know for sure without buying tires. 

i kinda thought you meant that :)

• Heart 1

...manufacturers of bicycle tyres are notorious for playing fast and loose with these "width" measurements. One maker's 28mm is another maker's something else. That said, I think the fattest tyre I could fit on an older Cannondale touring frame was 28mm. But it is a pretty wide 28mm, with heavy tread.

I would probably have tried out more than one Cannondale, were it not for this unfortunate limitation. This one was free, with the purchase of an accompanying Spectrum Ti bike.

012.JPG

010.JPG

• Heart 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2022 at 5:50 PM, Page Turner said:

...manufacturers of bicycle tyres are notorious for playing fast and loose with these "width" measurements. One maker's 28mm is another maker's something else. That said, I think the fattest tyre I could fit on an older Cannondale touring frame was 28mm. But it is a pretty wide 28mm, with heavy tread.

I would probably have tried out more than one Cannondale, were it not for this unfortunate limitation. This one was free, with the purchase of an accompanying Spectrum Ti bike.

True dat. And that's a sweet lookin' Cannondale. Is that an '80s, or early '90s?

4 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...one of the 80's touring frames, when they were still using steel forks. It's a solid bike.

Nice. I had a 1988 touring cannondale. It was my Dad's that he gave to me. The components were Shimano 600, and Deore LX.

• Heart 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2022 at 12:26 PM, bikeman564™ said:

For years, decades, I've ridden 25's on my road bike. I'd like to try 28s, to see if the ride feel changes. Anywho, I'm wondering if they will fit on my CAAD 10 :scratchhead:. Seems/looks like they should, but I was thinking of contacting Cannondale. It's a 2012 model, so that was still in the era of road bikes not accepting really wide taars.

Now we'll get an update!  Woot woot!!!

• Heart 1