I like this house

bikeman564™

6 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

Built in 1826. This is a mile from where I live.

https://www.trulia.com/p/mi/trenton/2003-w-jefferson-ave-trenton-mi-48183--2099277869

I didn't know Canada's big cities, even my city which is much smaller than Toronto and Vancouver, alot more costly for a house of that house and even translated into Canadian prices. Our  prices have jumped noticeably in the past 8 months ...probably because Canadians from the above bigger cities are discovering much lower pricing in our city.

Periodically, older homes come up for sale in our town. Though cheap initially the costs really come when one needs to make the needed upgrades to electrical, plumbing. and insulation. In addition, in our area, much of the old concrete tends to break down and crumble. One needs to be aware of what is behind the walls in finished basements. I have watched as old basement walls have been removed and entirely new basements have been poured under existing buildings. My boss, back in 1988 was very good about pointing out some of the pitfalls with some of the houses in the area.

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I didn't know Canada's big cities, even my city which is much smaller than Toronto and Vancouver, alot more costly for a house of that house and even translated into Canadian prices. Our  prices have jumped noticeably in the past 8 months ...probably because Canadians from the above bigger cities are discovering much lower pricing in our city.

Our values have been going up. Houses on the market, in my city anyway, sell quick. Heck, there have been several condos in my complex that sold w/in 2 weeks.

8 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

Eight burners! That’s a lot of cooking going on. 

Yeah. For a time, that house was used as an assisted living home for elderly people. So that probably explains the stove and roomy kitchen. But, that kitchen has a lot of potential for a remodel. There's another big ranch near me that's used for that also.

• Thank You 1

Nice, big additions in the house. $299,900?

That's about what my 30' x 30' mini-cape code is worth on a 100' x 60' plot in the Baltimore Suburbs.  My $30K in upgrades, additions, and termite repair plus State Farms $70K in improvements changed my house from one of the lower-value ones on the block to one of the highest.

I considered getting a bigger house like that in Trenton, MI and similar in price to mine in the semi-rural country in Northern Maryland south of Gettysburg, PA, when I was approaching retirement 15 years ago on an acre of land.  Then I thought, why would I want to deal with all that land and property after I retire?  Additionally, it's an extra 30-60 minute drive to the good stuff in the area where I am dead-center located now.

I loved that TV commercial about retirement financial advice where the customer makes fun of the commercials of other companies where they show the retiree being able to start things like a wine business: "A vintner? I just want to retire."

• Heart 1