Things seen today

Parsnip Totin Jack

3 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

First commute to work after the time change. At 6:20, it’s dark. The moon is a waxing gibbous setting in the west. Driving to work it was my sole companion. On my left and then behind me. As I drove east, the sky gradually grew lighter. The rays illuminating a sharp break in a cloud line like the edge of a table. Driving home in bright sunlight, I’m going through a large development where many people are out enjoying the warmth. A cyclist approaches me. Riding on the right curb in my direction. The physical motions of the cyclist are off my expectations. It’s obvious to me, from a good distance, that the saddle is too low. Knees cannot accommodate the low height and are thrust out in both directions as the rider struggles to acquire momentum. As I get closer, I want to stop a fix the problem I see, but I cannot. As we pass I see blond braids, cornrows really, where they should not be. The rider has her helmet pushed back, away from any useful position of protection and is wearing the helmet backwards. I drive on as there is really nothing I can do to help her. More than likely she had last summer’s air in her tires. 

For sure ,I agree. I do feel  sorry when seeing certain riders where they didn't get some gentle advice/encouragement to tweak certain parts of their bike and that wrong helmet position....  especially when I see someone riding with saddle too low..... they will hate cycling after 1 hr. of riding and their knees will be killing them. Their potential love for cycling might be destroyed...for good or for many years.

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

First commute to work after the time change. At 6:20, it’s dark. The moon is a waxing gibbous setting in the west. Driving to work it was my sole companion. On my left and then behind me. As I drove east, the sky gradually grew lighter. The rays illuminating a sharp break in a cloud line like the edge of a table. Driving home in bright sunlight, I’m going through a large development where many people are out enjoying the warmth. A cyclist approaches me. Riding on the right curb in my direction. The physical motions of the cyclist are off my expectations. It’s obvious to me, from a good distance, that the saddle is too low. Knees cannot accommodate the low height and are thrust out in both directions as the rider struggles to acquire momentum. As I get closer, I want to stop a fix the problem I see, but I cannot. As we pass I see blond braids, cornrows really, where they should not be. The rider has her helmet pushed back, away from any useful position of protection and is wearing the helmet backwards. I drive on as there is really nothing I can do to help her. More than likely she had last summer’s air in her tires. 

When I was teaching, I would go through a period where the dawn Sun was on the horizon and in my face as I drove the main road in front of our school grounds.  I had to be extra careful about students walking to school early.

Then the sun went higher and higher at that time and I could relax - until DST kicked-in.  Then the Sun was on the horizon and in my face as I drove the main road in front of our school grounds.  I had to be extra careful about students walking to school early.

• Heart 1

28 minutes ago, 12string said:

Very descriptive, yet completely devoid of feelings and you left out the one detail we all need to know.  I didn't like this story.

I was describing what I saw. I have no feelings. I could make some up for the story, but then it would be fictional. 

6 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

I was describing what I saw. I have no feelings.

...we should start up an online support group for people who are dead inside. :mellow:

There's a lot of judging going on, directed toward emotional numbness, and we can't fight back.  Because we are dead inside.:mellow:

• Hugs 1