Poomeadow

Dirtyhip

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Who's digging with the big yellow excavator?

And can't wait to see the plants growing!

next door neighbor.  New barn home going in.  They are getting a bit too close to our tree on the property line. Heading out now to stake off property line.  There are huge roots exposed on their side.  Hopefully it doesn't kill the tree.  I need to go pee on the property line now.  

Busy day of chores, dentist and taxes today.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

We created a pseudo little stream to catch the water that is flushed once a week from our water softener system. It is not a salt system. It just flushes out mineral deposits and i thought it would be nice to capture that water.  I planted a tiny redosier dogwood near the stream and the stream ends at a little tree.

IMG_20220321_172457004.jpg

• Heart 3

...those large crocus hybrids are difficult to naturalize around here. Either the gophers find and eat the bulbs eventually, or they just don't rebloom as enthusiastically. Also, I was not consulted in the initial design discussions for poomeadow, but bulbs generally react poorly to poo. They are used to harsher conditions where they originate, and don't do well with a lot of nitrogenous food.  The risk is that they will develop some sort of rot, from the overly rich diet. When you think of bulbs, think of something that has adapted to a kind of worn out, rocky soil, with pretty good drainage so there's no standing water.

But you might get away with it, since all your poo kind of aged in the sunlight over the winter, and the colder temps help.

Bulbs do very well when fertilized with wood ash, if you are burning any wood for heat. I used to save all my wood ashes from over the winter, and surface dress the daffodils with it in the Spring rains. Back when we had Spring rains.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

12 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...those large crocus hybrids are difficult to naturalize around here. Either the gophers find and eat the bulbs eventually, or they just don't rebloom as enthusiastically. Also, I was not consulted in the initial design discussions for poomeadow, but bulbs generally react poorly to poo. They are used to harsher conditions where they originate, and don't do well with a lot of nitrogenous food.  The risk is that they will develop some sort of rot, from the overly rich diet. When you think of bulbs, think of something that has adapted to a kind of worn out, rocky soil, with pretty good drainage so there's no standing water.

But you might get away with it, since all your poo kind of aged in the sunlight over the winter, and the colder temps help.

Bulbs do very well when fertilized with wood ash, if you are burning any wood for heat. I used to save all my wood ashes from over the winter, and surface dress the daffodils with it in the Spring rains. Back when we had Spring rains.

The leech lines are actually pretty deep. If the bulbs die, oh well.  So far they are looking really good.   

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

The leech lines are actually pretty deep. If the bulbs die, oh well.  So far they are looking really good.   

...I forgot it was your leech field.:blush: I was thinking maybe you manured it.  The bulbs should do fine over a leech field, if you can keep animals from eating them. I lost track of all the different things that have eaten my crocus bulbs over the years. Squirrels like them too, besides gophers. And I'm pretty sure a woodchuck got some of them once, but I never actually saw it.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...I forgot it was your leech field.:blush: I was thinking maybe you manured it.  The bulbs should do fine over a leech field, if you can keep animals from eating them. I lost track of all the different things that have eaten my crocus bulbs over the years. Squirrels like them too, besides gophers. And I'm pretty sure a woodchuck got some of them once, but I never actually saw it.

I planted about hundreds of bulbs right after the big chipping event.  Now I am filling in gaps.  The spot where the junction starts, the iris are huge.  LOL  That is where the water starts to come out of the system.  You can tell cause there is more activity there.  This patch of soil was totally ravaged.  I quickly planted and covered it with chip.  When I planted the bulbs, I put in a scoop of bone meal.  I think bulbs like that.

Crocomisia is on the way very soon.  That is going in next.  About 60 of them.  The clover is all starting to come up too.  I am very satisfied with the work I did.  It is so tremendously satisfying to create this.  It is my tiny ecosystem.  I love it so much.  I planted a bunch of Mt Hood daffodils and I am quite excited to see those.