Why else do I need Better Than Bouillon?

MoseySusan

3 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

https://www.thekitchn.com/6-ways-to-cook-with-better-than-bouillon-248410?amp=1

Seeing it around makes me wonder if I’m missing out. These 6 ideas sound good. Easy enough. What else do you do with it that improves on the already flavors? 

We use it everywhere we would use bouillon and more.  It's a great addition to several baking dishes we do.  There is always a jar of beef, veggie and roasted chicken somewhere in the fridge or pantry ready for use.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

WoJSTL uses the low-sodium versions of it.

I’ll have to look somewhere else than the LGS. They only had ham and beef. I went ahead and got beef because I’m making a pot of chili and some picadillo with ground beef this weekend. I’ll try it in those recipes. I’m thinking it will balance the tomato, like when adding stout and tomato paste to beef stew. 

• Heart 2

46 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

What is Marmite? 
My mom used Kitchen Bouquet. I don’t know what was in it. 

Marmite and vegimite are basically the same thing. Yeasty, salty, savory bomb, black tar. Love it or really hate it over toast (British/Aussi thing). A spoonful in a squash casserole is fantastic. 

• Heart 2

Another use is making garlic bread with the Better Than Bouillon Roasted Garlic Base.  I haven't tried it yet, but have an unopened jar of it on hand for that purpose. I may make some dough to split open and bake garlic dinner rolls for Easter.

The online recipes that piqued my interest in garlic bread are here, here and video here.

Another use is as a substitute for wine in cooking: some recipes mention chicken broth as a sub for wine.  If it's something like 1/3 cup wine and I don't have an open bottle of wine handy, I'll do 1/3 cup hot water with 1/3-1/2 tsp of Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base or just add the BTB directly to the pot.

I use the Roasted Chicken Base and the Beef Base very often, mostly for soups, stews, gravy, and chili.  Even my favorite rotisserie chicken gravy recipe that makes its own broth from the carcass and drippings calls for 1 tsp of chicken bouillon per cup of water, so I use BTB.

But be careful if you're watching your sodium each tsp of beef base is 680 mg Na and chicken is 350 mg Na - there are some low-sodium versions but I haven't seen them in the stores.  I tsp of Better Than Bouillon is equivalent to 1 bouillon cube and much, much, better tasting!