Weekend plans as we celebrate the Spring Equinox

petitepedal

Forecast is for temps in the 70’s, chance of rain Saturday. I need to change the oil in the Mazda. Do some garden work: plant early crops, dig a little to install some pavers next to the driveway. Power wash the front patio. Clean the back gutters and reinstall the gutter screens correctly. I’d like to get some miles in one or both days. That’s all folks. 

We've got forecast highs mostly in the 60's through the end of March with a few 70's and 50's.

My BiL Brian gets his upper left lung lobe and the cancerous tumor in it removed on Wednesday next week, March 23rd, and we'll be spending some time this weekend organizing how we need to support post-op care throughout the family.

This weekend and March and April involve a few yard projects that I now have all the tools I need to do and that's a big relief - I was still living in an Apartment and then a Hotel Suite while my house was being rebuilt this time last year and had no electricity, bathroom, water, etc. at the house.  So my work in the yard last spring stopped when the power tool batteries died or I had to drive and lose an hour's time if I needed something I didn't have in the car.

I need to cut down some vegetation before the stuff starts growing, then build a few things.

A simple to do project is two 12' x 4' x 12" high raised beds for a veggie garden - I want to set them up soon because I want to move dirt into them from two places in the yard where dirt has been piled up in the past and I want to level those areas.  I'll buy food-safe deck lumber to build them and can haul all the lumber with my Honda Fit.

I also need to complete my materials list for the 10' x 9' shed I want do build in the Spring or Summer on top of a 12' x 11' cement slab in the corner of my yard - leaving a 2' space between the shed and the fence.  It's an expanded version of this 8' x 8' shed except there's no need for bottom skids: my bottom boards with be bolted into the cement: http://www.mybackyardplans.com/gablestorageshed.php

My brother is renovating the house he rents for the next tenant and is shocked with $44 a sheet plywood, etc.  The last I looked, the 19/32" thick 4'x8' T-11 siding boards dropped in price from $73 to $38.46. But are they in stock?  I need ten of them, so if I find the whole thing isn't tremendously more expensive than a cheap metal 8' x 10' shed kit, I'm going to start buying the materials and storing them in my basement IF I can get the key parts!

• Heart 2

Get the seeds started in trays, I'm a bit behind there.  Fix a door ding and tie rod on the GTI.  Till the garden.  Mass Saturday night then the K of C St. Patty's party (it's not a good party, but we have to go).  Sunday, finish tilling the garden, put up the fencing, plant the peas.  Jr. Wife is throwing a St. patty's party at her house, even though no one lives there yet.  From what I saw the other night when I was there, all of my previous plans may be sidelined by "I have people coming tomorrow and the place is a WRECK!!!"

And sometime in there I have to pick up the new kitchen door.

• Heart 1

19 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Watching a granddog this weekend. Pictures at 11.

Going to see RAIN, a Beatles tribute group, tonight.

Lunch with oldest daughter's family Saturday then supper with son's family that evening.

Bike ride on Sunday and maybe some yard work.

It is past 11

• Haha 1

Yesterday we picked up over a truckload of trash in a local park area.  I mulched a garden bed.   My crop rotation plan is all decided.  I also planted some small bare root oak trees around the property. 

I am starting an adopt a tree program with local people.  The idea is that I give you a tree and you plant it and promise to water it for two years to get it established.  Neato.  I picked up the native bare root oaks yesterday.  I am hoping to get ten people a year to do this.  

Today I need to clean my house.  It is a mess.  Maybe I will ride my bike for a bit too.  The dirt is primo right now.

:)

• Awesome 1