Have you ever been vandalized?

BuffJim

With Bob Dylan’s birthday coming up May 24th , I was reflecting on the lyrics to Subterranean Homesick Blues, and the line ‘The pump don’t work cause the vandals took the handles’. 

I’ve only been vandalized once that I can remember, on a date with the lovely Katy Jeffery, someone broke my car window while we were at a hockey game      but didn’t appear to steal anything.

• Hugs 1

Back in the 70's the Daytona was broken into and a tape deck stolen.  

It was sort of normal when I lived in VA Beach for various food products to be found on our cars from high spirited tourists.  Milk shakes were the worst.

I had a roll away with a full set of tools stolen from the cage lockup in the basement of our apartment building shortly after I got married.

• Heart 1

While we were on vacation when year someone sprayed graffiti all over one side of the house and slashed all the tires on my van that was parked in the driveway and put the cats in the van and closed them in there the cats were still all right when we got home so it must’ve been just before we got home they did that

• Heart 1

Actually, I lied.  We had a house near Vancouver that was on the entrance to a cut-de-sac.  The location was a favourite for kids to drive their cars at high speed across our front lawn and garden bed.  They also broke the concrete stairs on the front sidewalk.  I ended up welding some 8 inch spikes to steel bars that were buried in the landscaping and had a large feature rock placed in the garden bed that was surrounded by shrubs.  It worked.  The kid left the rear axel of his fathers F-250 on my front yard.  Never had issues again. 

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

10 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Several vandals slashed tires on our cars and spray painted them.  I heard the tires pop, ran outside, and got a partial plate off a car as it sped away.

I called the police, told them what happened, gave them the car description and partial plate and they said (quote):

"What do you want us to do about it?"

That’s pretty much what they said when I called the police. They did come over and look at the damage. It might have been a hate crime because I have different race sons. If I lived there now I would definitely have security cameras.

• Heart 1

Yup.  It was the final straw that led to us building Xanadu.  Our previous neighborhood was going to pot.  It's sad because that zone is/was one of the nicer neighborhoods.  The prices reflect the attractiveness of that subdivision.  The crime has become progressively worse there.  I recently heard that a family bought a home there.  They heard it was a nice neighborhood.  After they got burgled and their home was vandalized, they were not too happy about it.  

People don't come up here too much, so I have high hopes for this place.  The fence and gate help for sure.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, BuffJim said:

With Bob Dylan’s birthday coming up May 24th , I was reflecting on the lyrics to Subterranean Homesick Blues, and the line ‘The pump don’t work cause the vandals took the handles’. 

I’ve only been vandalized once that I can remember, on a date with the lovely Katy Jeffery, someone broke my car window while we were at a hockey game      but didn’t appear to steal anything.

I had a lawnmower stolen back a couple decades when someone in the neighborhood was selling drugs and attracting low-lifes into the neighborhood and a lot of thefts, shed and work van break-ins were occurring.  Then the police busted the neighbor and he ended up in prison and we haven't had problems since.

• Heart 1

I don't recall being "vandalized" (which I tend to think of as more minor property damage)   but when I lived in Texas my roommate was held up and our apartment was robbed.  I was in another state at the time, so I just had to deal with the property damage but it was a more serious crime than vandalism. 

Decades ago I had a bike stolen when I was in college.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Maybe they left Bills tickets in your car? 

• Haha 1

Just now, jsharrwick said:

Have had car stereo stolen several times and a cassette tape carrier with close to 100 cassettes in it.  All 1995 or prior.  Nothing recently.  

Is that vandalism?  Then, yeah, we've had a car broken into before.  Parked in DC, smashed the passenger window, and stole the radio.  Like a $100 radio. Radios are dirt cheap for decades now, so not even sure why stealing a radio is a thing.  I guess they also look for other stuff too.

I probably have, but nothing I remember.  I have vandalized (shame on me)  I think I was also once an accomplice to a vandal.  Broke up with a girl, we remained friends even though she didn't take it too well.  Introduced her to a friend, they dated about a month, he said she was getting weird so he broke up with her.  She slashed all 4 tires on his Camaro.