Quote of the Day: Aesop

Inspiration Bot

Sometimes. My first ever 5K I hadn’t been running or training and somebody talked me into entering it. I knew I was going to be slow so I started clear at the back. I didn’t want to watch everyone as they passed me up. About a half mile into the race I came upon an old guy just plodding along. As I passed him I could hear his shoes slapping the pavement. I soon got far enough ahead of him that I couldn’t hear that anymore. When I was almost three miles in I was beat, I didn’t know how to pace myself back then. I had to walk some, then I heard this slapping sound behind me. I can’t let this old man pass me so I forced myself to start running again. I was worn out. I could see the finish line up ahead of me and I heard the slapping of his shoes on the pavement behind me getting closer. There he goes passing me up, slap slap slap across the finish line and I couldn’t do anything about it. Of course he only won the race against me, we were way at the back. The only people behind us were overweight people that did a lot of walking. I learned how to pace myself and train before my next 5K.

• Heart 2

25 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Sometimes. My first ever 5K I hadn’t been running or training and somebody talked me into entering it. I knew I was going to be slow so I started clear at the back. I didn’t want to watch everyone as they passed me up. About a half mile into the race I came upon an old guy just plodding along. As I passed him I could hear his shoes slapping the pavement. I soon got far enough ahead of him that I couldn’t hear that anymore. When I was almost three miles in I was beat, I didn’t know how to pace myself back then. I had to walk some, then I heard this slapping sound behind me. I can’t let this old man pass me so I forced myself to start running again. I was worn out. I could see the finish line up ahead of me and I heard the slapping of his shoes on the pavement behind me getting closer. There he goes passing me up, slap slap slap across the finish line and I couldn’t do anything about it. Of course he only won the race against me, we were way at the back. The only people behind us were overweight people that did a lot of walking. I learned how to pace myself and train before my next 5K.

Running 3 little bitty miles sounds easy, until you get off the couch and try.

When I started, I used a couch to 5k app.  All sessions were about 30 - 40 minutes, I can't remember the specifics.  It was all intervals.  I believe the first week you walked 1:45 then ran 15 seconds.  I thought that was silly.  Who can't run 15 seconds?  This guy.  The first few weeks nearly killed me.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1