Gotta fill my days with something

Square Wheels

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Not as fun as I hoped.

Keep at it. At  least pump out 1-3  resumes..per work day. Just  make sure you have 1-2 different resumes structured and worded in a way target for 2-3 different industry areas/job roles. I completely redesigned my resume a few years ago, that was a blend of skills based and short succinct chronology of  jobs. That really seemed to garner more interviews.

I have a job history of 9+ employers, which makes it difficult for recruiters to figure out my areas of strength if I did a pure chronological  resume. So have to extract out the strongest areas of  skills and expertise.  It really looks I've dipping all over the place. So  to turn that "wandering" into an area of strength:   adaptable to broad range of corporate cultures & communicates well at all levels of an organization.

• Awesome 1

The year I did the ironman I was working a job with lots of varying call and different shifts.  We had two small kids into activities and whatnot.  I had two big dry erase calendar boards hanging in the kitchen.  My workouts on one, family activities/work on the other.  It was a pretty cool time.  They were both always full!  I still have them somewhere in the basement. 

I was unemployed for 5 months after my bike trip. Job hunt took about 2 hours a day. I don’t come across as charismatic or dynamic. For me it was easy to get interviews but hard to get offers. But landed what could be called my dream job that I’ve been at 12 years ago. Even had the General Counsel who reports to the CEO of our 70,000 person company give me a shout out yesterday in a call with the top company lawyers, for my efforts in the Russia crisis. He also named my boss, and another co-worker in the department. Good to get recognized, but sorry I’m rambling. 

Anyways I got used to the slow pace of job hunt life, but was running out of money. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

I found when I cycled  up to 2 hrs. per day which was approx. 35-40 km. per work day, the leftover motivation helped me do some job hunting and firing off a resume daily.

I applied to ALOT of places, had some interviews.....and this is why I ended with a job in a different city than where  dearie was based.  At 51 yrs., I had job offer with a good salary, benefits that was an exact match to my qualifications, expertise and skills set with a large, stable employer. Was it  going to get  any better for someone @that age?   By then, both of his children were in their 30's and on their own. I was just blessed with a partner who supported my decision all the way.

But we made it work into our love together. He viewed my place...as a vacation home and vice versa for me. This is another reason why prairie city home had to be in a liveable neighbourhood, not isolated on edge of suburbs where hard long and very cold winters can be (to myself, him) pyschologically depressing. 

His bike, snowshoes, clothing, etc. are still here. It's been a slow purge. 

Yes, we had slightly complicated life across 2 provinces. 

Remember, there are enough couples, where each partner is living/working in completely different countries...a situation that is never good, for a family with young children who benefit from being with parents who care for each other.

• Awesome 1

8 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

It's really holding me back, especially in running.

Serious suggestion: set your goal this year as exercise walking.

It might be less pounding on your ankle, allowing it to heal faster or at least reduce the risk of re-injuring it.  And perhaps you can make up calorie difference between walking and running by arm exercises as you walk, or by doing other 'non-ankle' calesthetics at stops along your walk to boost the heart rate and build strength in your core and arms.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Awesome 2

9 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Still having modest issues with the ankle, hopefully it won't last more than a month or three.  It's really holding me back, especially in running.

Some days more than one activity, yesterday I had four.

I try to do something most days, I take Saturday off as an ankle rest day.

Here's what I have so far this month.

24337081-f51592f848ae3e7b6dc8eb738a800d4

No image on my phone. :dontknow:

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Serious suggestion: set your goal this year as exercise walking.

It might be less pounding on your ankle, allowing it to heal faster or at least reduce the risk of re-injuring it.  And perhaps you can make up calorie difference between walking and running by arm exercises as you walk, or by doing other 'non-ankle' calesthetics at stops along your walk to boost the heart rate and build strength in your core and arms.

Thanks.  I have lots of ankle exercises - been doing them for months.  I'm allowed to ride all I want.  I am allowed to run intervals, slowly increasing the run interval as well as the total run time.  I've been good about not going too fast.  I run three days, ride three days, take one day off.

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Or put bike on rollers..

It's been there a long time, ankle still hurts.  PT said OK to ride through it.

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

No image on my phone. :dontknow:

Odd, it went away.  I uploaded.

Garmin Connect.png

• Awesome 1

10 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Thanks.  I have lots of ankle exercises - been doing them for months.  I'm allowed to ride all I want.  I am allowed to run intervals, slowly increasing the run interval as well as the total run time.  I've been good about not going too fast.  I run three days, ride three days, take one day off.

It's been there a long time, ankle still hurts.  PT said OK to ride through it.

Odd, it went away.  I uploaded.

Garmin Connect.png

So, are you getting all ripped? :cheerleader:

• Heart 1