Dinner now to go

Airehead

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

We  should all troop over the :wub: house for this...

There is plenty. Head toward canandaguia Lake. 

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

That looks amazing!

No added sugar in the dates and only 1/4 cup of brown sugar in topping and base combined. I used coconut oil instead of butter. You could eat these now that I think about it. 

@Square Wheels

For The Date Filling
  • 1.5 cups (220g) dates
  • 1 cup (200ml) water
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)— not optional in my opinion and a squeeze of lemon too
  • Pinch of salt (optional)
For The Crumble
  • 1 cup (110g) oat flour— I used that gluten free flour by King Arthur because I had it
  • 1 cup (90g) oats 
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp cardamom
  • 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) almond butter
  • 2 tbsp granulated sweetener like Xylitol (optional)— that stuff is poison. Use brown sugar. 
Instructions
    Preheat your oven to 180*C (160*C fan assisted)/ 350*F
    First make the date filling - add the dates to a pan and start off by adding 1/2 a cup (100ml) of water. Cook on high until the water starts to boil then turn the heat to low. Start mashing the the dates using the back of a wooden spoon. Add more water as needed until you have a smooth, thick, but spreadable date paste. Leave to cool.  Really needs to be cool to put in pan. 
    In a large bowl, mix together the oat flour, oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cardamom and sweetener if using any.
    Place the oat mixture in a food processor along with the coconut oil and almond butter.
    Pulse until everything is well combined and you have a crumble like mixture.  I used a pastry blender. 
    Transfer 2/3 of the oat mixture into an 8" cake tin lined with parchment paper. Press the mixture down firmly into an even layer.
    Spread the date mixture on top, then crumble the remaining 1/3 of the oat mixture on top.
    Bake for 20-25 minutes.
    Leave to cool completely, then slice.
    Enjoy!  I doubled it to make a bigger pan. 

• Heart 2