How long until cable tv goes the way of the land line?

Randomguy

?

With HBO and CBS announcing streaming services for their content, cable companies have to be sharting in their collective mouths about now, wondering how long until they are no longer viable.

When will that be?  Do you plan on keeping cable regardless?  Do you even have a tv or fancy ice cream at all?

There's still a good number of homes without high speed internet.....hard to believe, I know, but it's true.

I think there's at least a decade or so before cable is history.   Companies like comcast won't go away, but they will have to change their business model....likely will be some sort of over the air type of services.

I don't know where you live but where I come from my cable comes from the same source (same cable) and my cable service (I don't use a phone modem any more   :) ).

If I want to stream something from CBS (which is the primary method I use to watch some broadcast TV), I use the internet connection from my cable provider.  With the advent of Metered Billing from the internet sources (read my cable provider) I would still be paying one way or the other.

Haven't had cable in 8 years. Mostly using my high speed internet and chromecast.

No subscriptions.

I watch mostly downloaded seasons and stream ABC and NFL network.

Watching all NFL games free (Verizon wireless customers get NFL free) in HD on my TV has been the highlight of my year.

I don't know where you live but where I come from my cable comes from the same source (same cable) and my cable service (I don't use a phone modem any more   :) ).

If I want to stream something from CBS (which is the primary method I use to watch some broadcast TV), I use the internet connection from my cable provider.  With the advent of Metered Billing from the internet sources (read my cable provider) I would still be paying one way or the other.

Basic cable out here with HBO and interwebs runs north of $160/month, whereas just high-speed interfapping alone is around $50/month.  Add in a couple of $6 or $10 charges, and you are way ahead of the game for watching only what you want.

You are assuming that you would just add $10 and away you go.  The concept of Metered Billing will be to charge you for both your volume of usage and type of usage.  And extra few GBs $10.  And extra few GBs with video content from CBS or NBC, $20.

I think a one-price Netflixian deal is the one that would get more business, and I think that will be the route chosen.

I have comcast. I HATE comcast. They are reliable tho. Still, I hate them. Lots.

Cable is about to go bye bye. Have the basic package now....still quite a few channels that I never watch and never will watch.

I haven't had cable since 1997, and no, this isn't because I've gone to other television options. I just got frustrated with what I saw, so I gave up on television altogether. If the programming were to improve significantly, I might rethink my decision.

I don't have cable now, btw.  I like the idea of a low-cost subscription service, though.  When sporting events can be streamed reliably, all hell will break loose.

I think you're right about sports keeping cable alive.  The only reason I don't pester Mrs. Silly more about dropping cable is because I need it for Fox Sports to watch hockey.

I haven't had cable since 1997, and no, this isn't because I've gone to other television options. I just got frustrated with what I saw, so I gave up on television altogether. If the programming were to improve significantly, I might rethink my decision.

The programming has improved since 1997. But there are so many other streaming options, you don't realy need cable.