so need to see this movie

shootingstar
Go to solution Solved by shootingstar,

Supposedly 1 of the underlying themes, is trying to be kind  to one another in whatever universe / time you live in, amidst chaos and craziness. And it is love, that is central and can bind us all.

Well, ok that is such an old, old theme in some of the world's greatest literature. But it is..life. ‘Everything Everywhere All at Once’ Review - The Bulwark

SXSW 2022 Review: EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE. Wow. (screenanarchy.com)

Review excerpt:  Everything Everywhere All at Once firmly acknowledges that once you start thinking about those roads not taken, once you take in everything in your life, everywhere you go, all at once, there is no choice but to realize how pointless it all is. This is a film that feels uniquely made by millennials who see the world around them crumble; it is a painful piece of irony that it’s coming out not only in the middle of a pandemic, but as global political strife intensifies. It’s coincidentally fitting for the specific time period we find ourselves in, even if the filmmakers happened upon this by accident – it’s about thinking things can change for the better, while realizing that trying to change the bleak and hopeless future ahead of us is fruitless. 

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Supposedly 1 of the underlying themes, is trying to be kind  to one another is whatever universe / time you live in, amidst chaos and craziness. And it is love, that is central and can bind us all.

Well, ok that is such an old, old theme in some of the world's greatest literature. But it is..life. ‘Everything Everywhere All at Once’ Review - The Bulwark

Review excerpt:  Everything Everywhere All at Once firmly acknowledges that once you start thinking about those roads not taken, once you take in everything in your life, everywhere you go, all at once, there is no choice but to realize how pointless it all is. This is a film that feels uniquely made by millennials who see the world around them crumble; it is a painful piece of irony that it’s coming out not only in the middle of a pandemic, but as global political strife intensifies. It’s coincidentally fitting for the specific time period we find ourselves in, even if the filmmakers happened upon this by accident – it’s about thinking things can change for the better, while realizing that trying to change the bleak and hopeless future ahead of us is fruitless.

Then again you can just turn on the TV news and feel bleak and hopeless in a few minutes rather than taking 90 minutes to do the same thing.

• Hugs 1

45 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Then again you can just turn on the TV news and feel bleak and hopeless in a few minutes rather than taking 90 minutes to do the same thing.

Am feelin' existential now.

Have you ever had to highlight part your life to a stranger and some of  other bigger connections? I just did..to a lawyer. I had to get my dates, facts straight..  and I have a blog, which never dreamt until now, well, it IS evidence on part of my life. So am feelin' happy in retrospect, afraid and sad  all at  once. 

And like the movie (which isn't released until Mar. 25, 2022), I've been thinking recently of roads not taken, roads taken....so far.  I don't regret the paths taken so far and some of them have been big decisions.  For women it is:  consciously deciding whether or not to have children/carry child from birth, who is the person you love and want to spend your life, what I studied and jobs had.  Then there other things we have no choice:  family that we are born into and all the family dyamics from that and what we do about it.

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Have you ever had to highlight part your life to a stranger and some of  other bigger connections? I just did..to a lawyer. I had to get my dates, facts straight..  and I have a blog, which never dreamt until now, well, it IS evidence on part of my life. So am feelin' happy, afraid and sad  all at  once. 

Only at work.  I was ready to testify at a bankruptcy hearing.  Our company was being accused of 'bettering our position' before the large customer went bankrupt.  I spent a LOT of time with our lawyers.  Just about everything can be evidence.   

Yeah I'm glad I'm retired... 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

• Solution
28 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Only at work.  I was ready to testify at a bankruptcy hearing.  Our company was being accused of 'bettering our position' before the large customer went bankrupt.  I spent a LOT of time with our lawyers.  Just about everything can be evidence.   

Yeah I'm glad I'm retired... 

Yup and only certain "facts" evidence are selected.

I actually don't exist in the minds of some folks or that was the pic they were trying to craft. 

At work, my boss and her boss, are avoiding talking to 1 of our internal lawyers, on a matter that I handled  with one lawyer who passed the decision to a new incoming lawyer. LIke they seem afraid to talk to him. He's not god, for Pete's sake.  You see, we can't put other people on pedestals. Big freakin' mistake. 

I'm intrigued on the job, how some people have a hard time just describing a situation as it is, instead of this jungle of obsfuscation, tiptoeing through the tulips avoidance.

I live in a different universe or I was born in a different family universe. Sheesh.

20 minutes ago, Kirby said:

The review sounds interesting, but I bet after I watched the movie, I'd just be confused.

the movie sounds like several different angles, comic sci-fi, a story of woman/ anyone wondering, what one could have  become..vs. just dealing with now, and showing  her..love to family whom she is currently distancing. Sounds  multi-layered.

Seems  one  just  to embrace the craziness...like some parts of life, confusing and only parts  we want to make sense.  :whistle:Travelling multi-universe should tax anyone's brain / imagination. 

Pageturner referred just 2 days ago in this forum, to famous Irish  author's book, Ulysses which that  novel (written in early 1900's) was a challenge to read because of its  stream of consciousness style.  I  thought I was reading a modern version of Shakespeare.  The best way to approach certain things,  is  to live/love the moment and not  try to  understand/conquer all the big forces in life/world.

I can  see that movie for intellectuals...and also people dressing up for cosplay meet-ups in the future. :happyanim:

It combines equal elements of action, comedy, sci-fi, and most importantly, heart.

Therein lies the magic of what makes Everything Everywhere All at Once work, the beating humanity underneath it all. Evelyn has made choices all over the map in her life, never quite paying her fullest attention to those in her life that need her most. It’s a truism we all suffer from at times, especially if you happen to be a parent or a spouse. Life gets in the way so often, you frequently forget that your issues are often your own, and others in your life need something else. Perhaps even unknown or misunderstood by you

• Heart 2

My 14 yr. old niece is curious about it. So am feeding choice movie reviews, so she can  convince her mother, my sister to pay /come  along to see the craziness...part of the plot underlying the fast action, bombastic crazy scenes, is  about mother and daughter relationship also.

So auntie..semi plots..  :flirtyeyess:

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I think I will watch Laverne and Shirley.  :)

Bah,  we need  some bombastic  stuff in our lives  even if  only for 140  min. (length of movie). We need to be shocked  into multi-universes. :party:

Look, what if you were never a pilot? Never went to Russia, Ukraine.

What if I never met dearie? 

21 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Supposedly 1 of the underlying themes, is trying to be kind  to one another in whatever universe / time you live in, amidst chaos and craziness. And it is love, that is central and can bind us all.

SXSW 2022 Review: EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE. Wow. (screenanarchy.com)

I had a bleak future in front of me -as did most of my classmates- but decided I would do whatever it took to become a chemist despite a poor background. Most childhood friends accepted they would begin less exciting jobs for life.

I think of Rob't Frost's poem, The Road Not Taken, where he went the less traveled of 2 paths "and that has made all the difference."

• Heart 1

23 hours ago, Kirby said:

The review sounds interesting, but I bet after I watched the movie, I'd just be confused.

Think of the movie just a more outrageously crazy thing..several steps up from this squareforum cafe. After all, each of us, come from a different universe. We already have multi-universe happening here.   Then some of the threads which have no relation to one another, are happening almost simultaneously at same time, overlapping.. like overlapping voices.  We already have alot of unpredictable stuff happening here. :party: Newbies  who come here have to take time to figure it out.

I have thought..for sure, if my parents hadn't immigrated  to Canada, what my life would have  been like. Or if I immigrated as an adult.

It's mind-bending to me...because I personally know first cousins who did immigrant as an adult. They are culturally very different from us CAnadian-born folks. It really is night and day differences amongst us.  Several came straight from the rural villages in China.