A DUH Moment

MickinMD

I bought a reusable K&N brand, furnace forced-air filter in November and was a month behind the recommended clean-it-every-3-months.

So I cleaned it yesterday.  The dust catching side was a tan color - I couldn't remember what it originally looked like and I thought that dirt was making it different than the grayer, screen side which looked like this online pic except a little brighter and a little blue:

1573905385_ScreenSide.thumb.jpg.b03f124e907f9810ee20c0c066516786.jpg

I washed it twice according to directions and using the overpriced K&N spray cleaner.  I couldn't make the tan go away.  I could blow on one side and feel the air passing through, so I thought it would be ok and I put it back in it's return-air slot next to the furnace, hoping it would be fine.

Today I thought: DUH!  Why don't I look at the pictures of the new filter on the internet?  It was tan!

The first, non-reusable filter that was on the furnace also filtered the central air conditioning air and got really dirty in a few months so I expected a dirty filter yesterday: that's probably because of all the dust that first filter collected from and during the house rebuild and then the ultra-clean, new house I started out with didn't send much dust into the filter.

1713081925_KN16x24x1dustcollectingside.JPG.4ccf55d41e989a7016ebc0e49c09baec.JPG

The online pics of a part clean/part dirty filter looked like this and mine was pretty clean to start with:

217680302_DirtyFilterbeingcleaned.JPG.a971912b916d0ee91940ae87ed75cc86.JPG

• Heart 1