Kool Aid Camp

Parsnip Totin Jack

So I attended required training today for a bike manufacturer with four letters in their name. Begins with “T” ends with “k”. Six hours wasted. We were paid, but it was still time wasted. Role playing scenarios all day with a lunch break of Crappy John’s pizza. Buzz words heard throughout the day included: for sure, right on, rad, sweet, stoked, and awesome. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

You should have been at the 2 hour Condo bitch session..amazing how many people dont understand..owner occupied..yes as long as you occupy the unit..you can have an overnight guest..you kid can move in with you..your mom and dad too...but you cannot move out and rent. 

Time will tell the vote is in process.

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

You should have been at the 2 hour Condo bitch session..amazing how many people dont understand..owner occupied..yes as long as you occupy the unit..you can have an overnight guest..you kid can move in with you..your mom and dad too...but you cannot move out and rent. 

Time will tell the vote is in process.

Good luck to you. There seems to be a dumbing down, or de-evolution in progress. It’s sad to witness this. 

• Awesome 1

47 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

So I attended required training today for a bike manufacturer with four letters in their name. Begins with “T” ends with “k”. Six hours wasted. We were paid, but it was still time wasted. Role playing scenarios all day with a lunch break of Crappy John’s pizza. Buzz words heard throughout the day included: for sure, right on, rad, sweet, stoked, and awesome. 

Role playing? Was there also cognitive coaching, data-driven decision making, or culturally sensitive centering

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dinneR said:

That's disappointing. I just ordered a bike with a four letter name that starts with a T and ends with a K. Did they say send it? That's a favorite Jackson phrase.

I was hoping to be stoked to get my rad, sweet ride. It'll be awesome!

image.thumb.png.52ee1bff0daa40d1a99f62f99047de88.png

Sweet! Full send!!!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Airehead said:

Is there any inventory to actually sell? 

Yes, we have lots of bikes. Close to 100 still in boxes waiting to be built. T**k is still updating the displays and getting ready for Tuesday’s opening. I’m not optimistic they will be done by tomorrow. 

12 hours ago, dinneR said:

That's disappointing. I just ordered a bike with a four letter name that starts with a T and ends with a K. Did they say send it? That's a favorite Jackson phrase.

I was hoping to be stoked to get my rad, sweet ride. It'll be awesome!

image.thumb.png.52ee1bff0daa40d1a99f62f99047de88.png

I don’t recall hearing a ‘send it’ but I think we have one or two of the Fuel EX’s in stock. What’s your size? We did get to play with the sizing device. It’s like an 8 foot iPhone that measures height and inseam to return recommendations for bike sizes, seat height, and bikes. 

15 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Yes, we have lots of bikes. Close to 100 still in boxes waiting to be built. T**k is still updating the displays and getting ready for Tuesday’s opening. I’m not optimistic they will be done by tomorrow. 

It sucks they were closed last week as I ended up going by Green Lizard instead (but I like them too).  

Any idea what they ended up doing with all the non-T**k stuff that was still around by the time of the switchover?

And who will be the local Seven dealer now?

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It sucks they were closed last week as I ended up going by Green Lizard instead (but I like them too).  

Any idea what they ended up doing with all the non-T**k stuff that was still around by the time of the switchover?

And who will be the local Seven dealer now?

The non-T**k stuff is on sale, 20-30% discount. Specialized and Giant. There was a S-Works Tarmac or something originally $13,000 down to $10,400. My friend Mike had a guy ready to buy but his wife said you have to sell one of your motorcycles first. Yeah, he ain’t doing that. I don’t know who’s going to pick up the Seven mantle. 

• Heart 1

My old LBS was approached by Trek and asked to convert.  They offered a full remodel of the store.  They turned it down.  The store needed a refresh, maybe they should have considered.  A few years later they moved to a new location.  Still not a Trek store.

My more recent LBS was converted to a Trek store about 2 years ago.  Took a while for it to fully convert.  Looks nice.  That's where I bought my Madone.  No discount, not even one penny.  Bought it in the middle of Covid.  Got super lucky.  They had my size and the Project One color I wanted in stock.  The only odd thing was the SRAM, but I've really grown to like it.  Also, it was the Force, not Red.  Red is nicer and lighter, but the gearing is not for me, I prefer the gearing on the Force, more for a weekend rider like me.  I asked if they'd swap the Force for DI2 from another bike, oddly they refused.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

The non-T**k stuff is on sale, 20-30% discount. Specialized and Giant. There was a S-Works Tarmac or something originally $13,000 down to $10,400. My friend Mike had a guy ready to buy but his wife said you have to sell one of your motorcycles first. Yeah, he ain’t doing that. I don’t know who’s going to pick up the Seven mantle. 

The old website takes me right to the Trek "find a dealer" page and the have a new name for the store - which is VERY generic at Trek Bicycle <location>  for all the ones around.  :(

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

The old website takes me right to the Trek "find a dealer" page and the have a new name for the store - which is VERY generic at Trek Bicycle <location>  for all the ones around.  :(

Yup, as far as I know they redirect your old site to the Trek site.  That's what happened to my more recent LBS.  You can still see their hours, but not things like what's in stock...

39 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I don’t recall hearing a ‘send it’ but I think we have one or two of the Fuel EX’s in stock. What’s your size? We did get to play with the sizing device. It’s like an 8 foot iPhone that measures height and inseam to return recommendations for bike sizes, seat height, and bikes. 

I bought a Fuel EX 9.7. Just waiting on a rear wheel. They said they would get me new wheel or a loaner by Thursday. 

• Awesome 1

Our LBS was told a few years back he had to convert to 70 or 80% Trek floor space or they would end their partnership. He told them to pound sand. Giant and Raleigh were his bread and butter. He offered Trek because some customers liked them, but they didn’t keep the lights on. 

...there was a time when I really, really liked T**k, both as a company and in the simple and straightforward design of their American made products.  That seems like it was a long time ago. Probably because it was a long time ago. Youi could actually order a T**k made from Columbus tubing, for a while. And they developed their own castings for socketed lug construction, just like Gios. 

The people they hired here to work in what used to be City Bicycle were kind of an odd collection.  Some good and some less good at bicycle stuff. The store remains pretty empty, in terms of what's in stock, but they can order you anything in the catalog for delivery at some future date.

DSCF6603.thumb.JPG.0ad4edeebe58a16b89b538da07538779.JPG

^^^ made in America, socketed lugs construction, even the tubing is True Temper ^^^

DSCF6921.thumb.JPG.9879655f2dca9e485b3578472c2a3380.JPG

^^^ ancient, late 70's Columbus tubing frame, made in Wisconsin by real Midwestern Americans, from Italian tubing ^^^

• Heart 1

On 3/20/2022 at 6:35 PM, Old No. 7 said:

As long as the camp wasn't in Guyana, kool aid would be ok.  I liked Papa John's pizza until they raised the prices and started charging for the little container of garlic sauce.

Now I'm making my own tastes-as-good-as-Papa-John's semi-thin crust with lots (8 oz) of sauce, cheese, extra pepperoni and extra meatball plus onions for $4.86 compared to $12.75 for Papa John's 12" Meatball Pepperoni pizza.  My whole pizza vs Papa John's: 1060 vs 1280 Calories, 142 vs 216 Net Carbs, 2192 vs 4800 mg Na.

My pizza (plus a little red bell pepper), Papa Johns Meatball Pepperoni pizza - I didn't feel the need for a thick outer crust.

20220310_192404_impr_900p.jpg.54d939f3159829d1f606fc1e762b0035.jpg Meatballs, pepperoni, three-cheese blend, and Italian seasoning.

On 3/20/2022 at 6:35 PM, Old No. 7 said:

So it sounds like a good day.  Are you gonna EP anything?

Specialized snaps up a trio of beloved Santa Rosa bike shops

...I only learned from reading this article that Mike's Bikes (which is a pretty big local chain...ten stores in the bay area and one of them in Sacramento) was recently acquired by a big Dutch bike retailer.  Those guys (Mike's Bikes) were the big Specialized dealer hereabouts, so I guess there's no place local to me selling those $14,000 Di2 Aethos bikes.  I guess anyone who buys one here now has to order direct from the company.

This immediately makes them more desirable trendy.