All this talk about vehicles…

MoseySusan

It must be Springtime…

In the Spring a fuller crimson comes upon the robin's breast;
In the Spring the wanton lapwing gets himself another crest;

In the Spring a livelier iris changes on the burnish'd dove;
In the Spring a young man’s fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love.
  • Haha 1

The Griz are awake and about.

Spring by Mary Oliver

Somewhere
a black bear
has just risen from sleep
and is staring

down the mountain.
All night
in the brisk and shallow restlessness
of early spring

I think of her,
her four black fists
flicking the gravel,
her tongue

like a red fire
touching the grass,
the cold water.
There is only one question:

how to love this world.
I think of her
rising
like a black and leafy ledge

to sharpen her claws against
the silence
of the trees.
Whatever else

my life is
with its poems
and its music
and its glass cities,

it is also this dazzling darkness
coming
down the mountain,
breathing and tasting;

all day I think of her -—
her white teeth,
her wordlessness,
her perfect love.

• Awesome 2

33 minutes ago, Airehead said:

My dad called Einstein to talk about a new car. His is a 2017 and has 20k on it. Einstein told him to keep it but he has new car fever. 

My wife checked her moms account and she was over drawn so plunked $500 into her account.  Then while still pissed off about that, freaking went off about paying for her mom and me wanting a new car when my car was perfectly fine.

Sweet Jesus the crap that women (MIL) puts me through…. 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

My dad called Einstein to talk about a new car. His is a 2017 and has 20k on it. Einstein told him to keep it but he has new car fever. 

Good advice... 

Einstein should tell your dad, the new car probably would cost considerably more than MSRP.   That won't change anytime soon. 

I'm keeping my 2010 Subaru for a while (maybe years). 

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

I would like to see a grizzly bear, but I’m not sure I’d know how to avoid or respond if it were close. Do you carry bear spray when you go into back country? 

10 hours ago, dinneR said:

Yes. I usually have it on a belt or my handlebar. 

Do you ever carry a gun?  Seriously.  Is bear spray effective?  I am not sure how effective a large caliber handgun would be to a grizzly?  Like a .357, 44 or a .45?  We don't have no Grizzlies in Indiana.  

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

Do you ever carry a gun?  Seriously.  Is bear spray effective?  I am not sure how effective a large caliber handgun would be to a grizzly?  Like a .357, 44 or a .45?  We don't have no Grizzlies in Indiana.  

Hey! This is a poetry thread! Take that he-man gun toting stuff to a truck thread. :rolleyes:

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

Cue @Rattlecan with his bear caution sign..   Funny because it is so true. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Bear spray is effective. I think I've got a better shot with a spray than getting off a shot. You'd have to ice in your veins to get off a perfect shot against a charging grizzly. 

I don't think I'd like mt biking with a gun.

24 minutes ago, dinneR said:

Bear spray is effective. I think I've got a better shot with a spray than getting off a shot. You'd have to ice in your veins to get off a perfect shot against a charging grizzly. 

I don't think I'd like mt biking with a gun.

Kinda what I was wondering.  I can shoot fairly proficiently when I am prepared to.  But to recognize the threat, find and draw your weapon, gather yourself and fire and accurate shot, all while Mr Grumpy Pants is charging you is a pretty tall order.    

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Grizzly bear shit.jpg

Yeah that's hilarious, just not true. Using a gun as bear defense is illegal in GTNP. You can carry a gun for hunting. and certain other situations. 

Who here really thinks they can get off an accurate shot against a charging grizzly? Where do you carry your gun while riding? 

31 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Kinda what I was wondering.  I can shoot fairly proficiently when I am prepared to.  But to recognize the threat, find and draw your weapon, gather yourself and fire and accurate shot, all while Mr Grumpy Pants is charging you is a pretty tall order.    

I have had many close up encounters with Black, Grizzly and Polar bears in my life and had a grizzly less than 20 feet behind me and didn't even know it was there until it crossed the path and reentered the woods.  If it charged, there is no way in hell you could gather your firearm let alone your senses in time to do something.   I had a Polar bear following me by about 30 feet in Resolute Bay and didn't know until a hotel employee called me in because he saw it.  

Flying in the bush, I carried a 300 Savage but most often left it in the plane.  Black bears aren't that big a threat. They avoid you if you look like an aggressor. 

• Heart 3

12 hours ago, dinneR said:

Yeah that's hilarious, just not true. Using a gun as bear defense is illegal in GTNP. You can carry a gun for hunting. and certain other situations. 

Who here really thinks they can get off an accurate shot against a charging grizzly? Where do you carry your gun while riding? 

🙋🏽‍♂️ But the smell from me crapping myself would probably scare it off first! 😁

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

I am not sure how effective a large caliber handgun would be to a grizzly?  Like a .357, 44 or a .45?

I don't want to find out.  I'm going to guess all it will do will piss off the bear, and soon you will make the last sentence in @Rattlecan's warning sign true. 

The only time we encountered bears while hiking was in BC in the area near Whistler.   It was mid June and WoBG was about 1 or 2 hundred feet ahead of my grandson and I, on a hiking trail.  We got high enough up this mountain trail to get into the snow.   There was a curve and trees, rocks, etc..  in the trail, and for a little while we lost sight of WoBG.  We rounded the curve and WoBG was maybe 100 feet ahead of us, and a bear and her cub was walking away into the trees away from WoBG.   :frantics:  WoBG told me she stopped hiking and let the bears cross the trail, and the bears just ignored her and walked away. :frantics::frantics:   That was enough fun for that trail... I convinced her that we should return to the car NOW.  

Yeah... I don't want to piss off any bear.